I like tall

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a custom 48 x 24 x 31 tall from glasscages. Tall tanks look great to me but am a little concerned about reaching into the tank. I am 5 11.

How difficult is it for you all to reach into your taller aquariums? do you regret the height or like it? I dont want to have my hands in there every day but of course I will need to from time to time, how hard is it to get down and siphon sand on a 31?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll get a nice wide PAR range allowing plenty of LPS and lower PAR tolerant coral along the bottom while more than enough up top depending on rocks cape.

I attach my syphon hose with rubber bands to an acrylic rod and use that to pin point water changes. Plenty of large tongs to help keep your hands out of the display as well.https://www.aquacave.com/pikstik-aqua-tongs-32.html

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, if you wear deodorant, you can’t get your armpit area anywhere near the tank if you’re reaching deep in. Many deodorants contain aluminum and some other metals. My general rule is, I have to be able to reach the bottom

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 6'1" and if I reach into a 31" tank from ground level, it can get to my armpit. You would probably want to use a sturdy step-stool and a shower before tank work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 6'1" and if I reach into a 31" tank from ground level, it can get to my armpit. You would probably want to use a sturdy step-stool and a shower before tank work.
How often are in reaching down to the sand? Is placing/moving frags down there hard because you cant see?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO taller than 28” becomes a problem to reach. Not that you can’t, just more of a problem

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot reach the bottom of my 36" tall tank. I just keep fish in this tank for the most part. Its a bare bottom tank with a tray of sand which is still partially in the tray since the wrasses log to spill it everywhere. I use nets and tongs to reach the bottom although for the most part I never need to access the bottom of the tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are in reaching down to the sand? Is placing/moving frags down there hard because you cant see?
Can’t tell you how many times a snail has knocked a coral over or something fell to the bottom. I hate reaching in but no choice.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anytime you need to put a coral on the substrate or a low rock could pose a problem because it's hard to reach and then once you place it, if you don't like the look of it from the front view, you need to move it again and so on. This goes with anything involving aquascaping.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 5'10" & have a 30" tank. I wish I had gone 28" instead but I use Grabbers to get anything I can't reach & they are only used in the tank.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon tall. I can reach the bottom, but I have to stand on a chair. I have a long siphon tube for cleaning the sand bed when I have to. I don't do that often. A taller tank is certainly a challenge to aquascape, etc. I find myself wishing I had a shorter tank, but then it would have to be longer. So........ more lights, etc. I do like my tank, but shorter would be easier.

Back