I made a mistake and killed my fish :-(

harmy4993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a brand new tank. My first. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0 nitrates were under 20. Ordered 2 misbar clown and 5 blue 5 red hermits along with 10 snails.

I didnt realize most of the snails were dead on arrival. Temp then drip acclimated everything then got them all into the tank. Went to bed then woke up and went to work. Quick peak on tank and fish seemed ok and hermits were crawling all over the snails. Hermits and snails in the basic area they were put in. Hermits were moving but the I didnt notice snails werent. 14 hours later get home and feed fish for first time. They ate a little not much and then they moved from corner of the tank to a little cave in the rocks.

Woke up to 1 dead fish and one barely swimming. That's when I noticed the snails still hadn't moved and a smell coming from the trash. Got the dead fish and dead snails out. And did a quick test. Ammonia was at .5 -1. The smell from the trash was the bag the snails came it. Smelt like rotten something. While doing the water change the other fish died.

I felt so bad. Next time I need to insure I'm off before adding things. I only work 4 days a week but I usually leave at 7pm and get home at 10-11 am. So I didnt have enough time to check on everything. Also I'm not sure about ordering snails thru the mail again. Granted my fault for not noticing when I put them in. I'm just sad the fish died because of me.

Have an 11 day vacation coming up so will reaquascape and feed little every other day to keep bacteria going until then. Then when vaca starts I'll look at adding live stock.

Sad lesson to learn

OP
OP
H

harmy4993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were so pretty.
20200604_141555.jpg
20200604_140823.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear,we learn something new every day,enjoy your vacation and tank remodel ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Believe me when I say: many if us here have learned from mistakes, mistakes if others and trial and error

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be afraid of ordering livestock online. Not sure, and not asking, what company you used but you might want to research or ask about the company you order from to ensure highest quality. I also believe most of us have been there and mistakes happen and we learn from them.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the bioload was too much and bacteria wasn’t well enough established. It’s tough to be patient, but it sucks when you lose livestock, so making sure the conditions are right is key. I think starting with inverts for a few weeks before adding fish may have helped establish the bacteria better. You’ll learn from this and become a better hobbyist!

OP
OP
H

harmy4993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a stupid mistake. If I would have noticed the snails were dead on arrival which I'm pretty sure they were, I think this would have been prevented.

I had a very high success rate with fresh water about 15 years ago. I'm mad I made a bad mistake. Salt water is alot more intimidating and unforgiving or so it feels at the moment

OP
OP
H

harmy4993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used liveaquaria. The fish seemed great along with hermits. Was just the snails. My issue is closest lfs is almost hour and half away. And with the way things are I'm not trying to drive to dallas right now.
I would not be afraid of ordering livestock online. Not sure, and not asking, what company you used but you might want to research or ask about the company you order from to ensure highest quality. I also believe most of us have been there and mistakes happen and we learn from them.

OP
OP
H

harmy4993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I added to many invertebrates. Dont think I needed them yet. Just kind of assumed I should add a cuc. 2 small clown fish I dont think was to much but 20 cuc maybe?
Maybe the bioload was too much and bacteria wasn’t well enough established. It’s tough to be patient, but it sucks when you lose livestock, so making sure the conditions are right is key. I think starting with inverts for a few weeks before adding fish may have helped establish the bacteria better. You’ll learn from this and become a better hobbyist!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back