I must be crazy...

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Kim, and this is my first venture into saltwater aquariums. A couple of my friends are BIG into the hobby and thought they should take me to Reefapalooza... bad idea. Long story short, here I am now trying to start as simply and efficiently as possible. I love to learn and hear others experiences so I can't wait to get to know you all! :)

Been at it since March and here's where I'm at:
- 5 gallon Marineland Portrait tank
- basic circulation pump that came with the kit currently only running floss
- Hydor Koralia 240 circulation pump
- AI Prime HD LED light running BRS AB+
- 5 pounds of live rock and the various cool creatures that came with it
- WAY too many snails (clean up crew kit gone wrong lol)
- Blue Centered Green Star Polyp
- ORA Neon Green Birdsnest
- WWC Chamo Favia (Who sometimes tries to help me with my excess snails, as you can see in the picture. haha)
- Aussie Purple Stag Acro
- WWC Rainbow Sherbet Lord
- JFox Jack-O'-Lantern Lepto
- WWC Neon Plesiastrea
- WWC Clown Face Zoas

received_372414500127032.jpeg
received_478980459579507~2.jpeg
received_2387670961507997.png

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! like the tittle state "You must be crazy". Well there is a whole bunch of crazy people on this site. There is about two million years worth of knowledge and they are always willing to help! Welcome again!

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. I want to point out that you'll want a bigger tank in a year or two when those sps corals get to big. They are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and could bleach. Because you have a small system, water chemistry is very inconsistent. Sps corals tend to pull lots of calcium, alkilinity, magnesium etc out of the tank, so having a small system is a bad idea for the long run.

OP
OP
Harrkim120

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. I want to point out that you'll want a bigger tank in a year or two when those sps corals get to big. They are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and could bleach. Because you have a small system, water chemistry is very inconsistent. Sps corals tend to pull lots of calcium, alkilinity, magnesium etc out of the tank, so having a small system is a bad idea for the long run.
Thank you, Stuartmercer. And I will for sure want a larger tank, but the first reason will be because I can't stand the limited room!!! [emoji1787] I know that picos are very difficult and generally only have a life span of a couple of years at most, but this was a way to get an idea of the game without immediately jumping in the deep end. Also, I figure that if I can keep such a small tank in check that the chore of a larger tank should be simple. I'm currently trying to compensate for the lack of water volume with frequent water changes to replenish nutrients and rigorous water chemistry testing. We'll see how it all goes in the long run though! It's all part of the fun. [emoji4]

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Stuartmercer. And I will for sure want a larger tank, but the first reason will be because I can't stand the limited room!!! [emoji1787] I know that picos are very difficult and generally only have a life span of a couple of years at most, but this was a way to get an idea of the game without immediately jumping in the deep end. Also, I figure that if I can keep such a small tank in check that the chore of a larger tank should be simple. I'm currently trying to compensate for the lack of water volume with frequent water changes to replenish nutrients and rigorous water chemistry testing. We'll see how it all goes in the long run though! It's all part of the fun. [emoji4]
No problem, I love to help new reefers! one more thing keep in mind that you are limited in fish that you can get. I actually started a 3.5-gallon SPS dominated tank a couple of days ago. I do have a fish in it that really good for tanks that sized. it called a spiny head blenny and eats little foods called daphnia. those fish would be great for a tank that sized. The fish gets a maximum size of 1.1 inches and is not aggressive. I would suggest these to a new reefer due to how easy they are to keep. However they do have small mouths so small foods are needed (daphnia, baby brine shrimp). Good luck and happy reefing!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back