I need help bad or I’m out

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be honest I made a mistake. I have had horrible husbandry with my tank o have been being so lazy and now I have all kinds of problems obviously. I don’t even know where to start I have Dinos, cyano, turf algae, other algae, horrible detritus and I don’t know where to start. If you were me what would you do? Where should I start and what is the first thing I should do or does it make more sense to just drain all the water and reset because it’s so bad. Please help I’m a little desperate.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rip clean was specifically designed to fix this, here’s the top five jobs I know of, to plan by:

the reason we didn’t need to see your tank or know it’s params is because those assessments come after the rip clean not before. In that thread we discussed zero param levels before and after, it’s purely action, not analysis

params and topoff water quality are adjusted to prevent rip clean #2 next summer

Last edited:

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be honest I made a mistake. I have had horrible husbandry with my tank o have been being so lazy and now I have all kinds of problems obviously. I don’t even know where to start I have Dinos, cyano, turf algae, other algae, horrible detritus and I don’t know where to start. If you were me what would you do? Where should I start and what is the first thing I should do or does it make more sense to just drain all the water and reset because it’s so bad. Please help I’m a little desperate.
Send some Pics

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been there done that.....

Tank size?

Livestock?

Its probably not as bad as it looks...
first try to manually remove as much algea as possible. then look to lower nutrients immediately after. a water change will definitely be necessary.

as quoted above. we need a bit more detail to be able to help.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you might have a major unbalance or over balance. Before taking the nuke option, perhaps list your parameters, filtration, flow and maintenance so each can be tackled by the members. No sense starting over if the same issues will rise again. Sometimes it's easier first to correct the problem(s) and isolate the causes before starting over. In the end there might be no other option but at least this time around the issues can be prevented.

BTW, having algae won't directly kill anything and often will absorb what caused them but that will take time.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It always look difficult and almost impossible to remedy issues that get out of hand especially if you let it happen.

In you case as you stated it neglecting your tank and we understand that life can be busy and difficult at times.

If you care about fixing your issue I would suggest a complete tear down and rebuild if issues are far too many!!

If you thing you wont have time or patience to do so then I would advise to take a break from reefing till you have time to get things back in line.

This forum is great resource to give you a helping hand if you are ready to put in some work. We are all here to help.

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my first step would be to ask myself why I got lazy and if I were to start completely over, would I be in it 100%.

I've been "lazy" because of school and work and decided to take a step back instead of continuing a tank.

If you are in it 100% though, scrub away and major water changes!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before choosing methods, make sure a work thread exists using other peoples tanks that show monthslong follow up or don’t select the method, your tank shouldn’t be an experiment.

use a factual guide.

Specifically not a pic of someone’s tank at home they did, one example, ask to see works in others tanks, thats ket. What someone did in their home doesn’t copy well outbound, but what someone has listed for other peoples work sure does, we can see.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size tank?

Large water changes and clean your sand bed is where I would start.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like to do is race the patient directly into surgery, hash out the details when the core is opened up lol admitted. Mainly it’s because I already know how the after pics will look, they’ll look as good as possible even if you currently have one spot of cyano, or sixteen. It’s never harmful to run, this is how we move tanks among homes without loss and it’s the lowest waste condition for the reef/ good for all reefs. our main setback is when it’s a huge reef vs a fifty or smaller

I’m into antidelay lol

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like to do is race the patient directly into surgery, hash out the details when the core is opened up lol admitted. Mainly it’s because I already know how the after pics will look, they’ll look as good as possible even if you currently have one spot of cyano, or sixteen. It’s never harmful to run, this is how we move tanks among homes without loss and it’s the lowest waste condition for the reef/ good for all reefs. our main setback is when it’s a huge reef vs a fifty or smaller

I’m into antidelay lol
Baby steps

OP has not really let us know what the issues is.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

look at his pics

consider the first pic in the link I provided up top

they match

the way we extract info from someone who’s posted one post on nov 1 4 - 5 then never responded back to any of them heh is to click on the posts they made. This is how I assess everyone is wrecking their setups with fish disease…we can see all the non fallow stuff they added in august when they post in nov they’ve lost six fish.

In this case his tank invasion was a direct match to what I linked, and we won’t be hearing back from him soon. One off posts-this was number three, hesitation is the param that is out of alignment. it’s unlikely a rip clean would be ran anyway they take a solid four hours of work, likely too much work here.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just show you my before and after pics of my rip clean. Instead of just dosijg chemicals or wasting time trying to fix the issue 1 rip clean is all you need.

630F83A0-F284-4291-A64A-AF64A4278E39.jpeg

78CF6422-408C-4970-9A52-DAAC9ECCBABC.jpeg
D7D3B066-FB2B-49AF-BD46-B4C364CE58EB.jpeg

This is what I was dealing with for 2 months dinos/cyano I got opinions from UV no water changes etc . But my nitrates were 100+ and po3 was 0 so I contacted @brandon429 anf I did my rip clean. Here are the after shots.
29BAA22A-388F-477D-86BC-9A39B3683B6D.jpeg
A38091DE-62D2-4835-AAC5-3EC4105FCCFC.jpeg
279EF14B-169A-4223-9C75-185C2263D2A1.jpeg
This was 2 weeks after rip clean.

A9600C82-8057-4334-A994-0BCAAA34EB19.jpeg
A0FC9CAF-C187-4670-A5C8-8DEE9C27CA01.jpeg

F9DFA822-BA2D-462C-82DA-14F65DB28DA5.jpeg

And these 3 are 2 months after rip clean

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess @PrestonsReef decided to beg for help, then never respond or even give a single "thumbs up" to show he read a reply after people spent a ton of time on it for him. Honestly, I am sick of people like this. This is a great place with helpful people. Doing this is such a jerk move. Thanks to everyone for continuing to give out help, even knowing this can happen.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back