I need help for lighting coral!

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I did the math, and for a 14 gallon coral tank, I need 70 W of lighting. The light I’m using right now is much cheaper and only has 30 W. I’m looking for a better light, and I found this one. Do you think it’s a good light?

It’s a NICREW. should i get it?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 150 (so three pucks) as a member of my lighting crew.
Good intensity and correct colour spectrum with 6 different intensity settings for the blue/violet and white/green/red channels.
Needs a simple timer to turn on and off.

That will light your tank well and will grow anything.

Great pic if budget is an issue.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this. I was using it on my tank until I purchased a stronger light for sps. I moved it to my son's tank. Never had any problems with it and it works really well for what you need it for. Hope this helps!

Edit: Also keep an eye on the R2R marketplace. I'm always seeing great deals on lights.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think comparing this Nicrew to AI or Kessil makes much sense.
I would do an AI Prime HD. It’s the same cost as the one you’re looking at and it’s fantastic
An AI Prime costs $210, while the one OP is looking at costs $140 and is 70% more powerful (100 watts vs 59 watts).

For that price you could get a Kessil a80 with the gooseneck.
Like SchrutesReefs said the Kesil A80. Probably Tuna Blue $129 + Mount
Those a80s are really underpowered at only 15 watts.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think comparing this Nicrew to AI or Kessil makes much sense.

An AI Prime costs $210, while the one OP is looking at costs $140 and is 70% more powerful (100 watts vs 59 watts).

Those a80s are really underpowered at only 15 watts.
My bad, for the AI Prime I meant get one lightly used :). I see them often for around $150 and that’s what I’ve bought all my lights for (I’ve owned 5 and they all cost $75-$175 preowned). I forgot to mention that part lol, it’s kinda important though

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't go with an A80 for your tank. An A80 would be fine for a 3-5 gallon tank, but for a 14g a single A80 is badly underpowered. That's been my experience with those lights - I had to use two over a 7g tank to even get some degree of growth for the softies and LPS in that tank.

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an ebay listing for the OCEAN REVIVE lights. I used to use them when they first came out.

Pretty good lights and I grew a mixed reef mainly high-end acros, as well zoas, blastos.

Not sure if you can find a site to sell em but they normally run between 160-180$ new. Just posted the ebay listing cause there was someone posted a pair for bidding and it's only at 20$ rn lol

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't go with an A80 for your tank. An A80 would be fine for a 3-5 gallon tank, but for a 14g a single A80 is badly underpowered. That's been my experience with those lights - I had to use two over a 7g tank to even get some degree of growth for the softies and LPS in that tank.
I am running 2 a80’s on a nuvo 20, zero issues. Not sure why such hate over the a80s. Several hobbyists run this setup woth great results.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2 a80’s on a nuvo 20, zero issues. Not sure why such hate over the a80s. Several hobbyists run this setup woth great results.

It's not hate, it's just facts. They're fine for their intended purpose, and underpowered for things above that purpose. A single A80 above a 14g tank isn't going to provide enough light for anything above low-light corals. If I say that you shouldn't use a Honda Civic to pull a 5th-wheel trailer, I'm not hating on a Civic; it's just not intended for that purpose.

Here we go again..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Civic pulling a 5th wheel
It's not hate, it's just facts. They're fine for their intended purpose, and underpowered for things above that purpose. A single A80 above a 14g tank isn't going to provide enough light for anything above low-light corals. If I say that you shouldn't use a Honda Civic to pull a 5th-wheel trailer, I'm not hating on a Civic; it's just not intended for that purpose.

trailer!!! Lol you got me on that one, and I love civics!! JDM.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be nice to live in the USA and have access to cheap lights. Up here in Canada, you can double the prices and then add 13% tax.
no lights are cheaper than $300

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30watts of LEDs (assuming they’re the right color spectrum) really should be plenty for a 14gallon tank to grow pretty much any softie and LPS (and some SPS). Wattage isn’t really a relevant criteria for LED lighting, but I would imagine if you rented a PAR meter, you current light would be well within range for the corals you want to keep.

OP
OP
FindingPonyo

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this. I was using it on my tank until I purchased a stronger light for sps. I moved it to my son's tank. Never had any problems with it and it works really well for what you need it for. Hope this helps!

Edit: Also keep an eye on the R2R marketplace. I'm always seeing great deals on lights.

Thank you! What's the name of it? I can't see the picture. The model?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back