I need help with ID on fish sickness

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R family, I have been struggling with a fish sickness for some time. I use to have a blue tang, lieutenant tang, and a naso tang. Each fish ranged anywhere from 5 to 7 months with me with the blue tang being a year old. I have always wanted an Achilles tang, and I got the itch for one and talked to a guy locally that runs his only little fish store. I ended up purchasing the fish as he told me he would QT the fish for me for three weeks. I had already taken down my QT at this time as I told myself I was done adding fish. I should have stuck to that plan. The first two Achilles tangs died one jumped, and one didn’t ship well he kept me updated. Third one comes in does great, and I take home. Fast forward to around October 29th, 2018. I decided to rid my tank of BCP (Blue Clove Polyps) I introduced the Achilles tang on October 7th he had been fine the entire time other than going through some ick that started around the 15th. The Achilles ate like a pig ( even during his ick stage) and bothered no one by my surprise. Now back to the 29th when I started my dose of Fenbendazole to rid the BCP in my tank. The first 24 hours went well around the 48 hour to 72-hour mark my Achilles tang broke out in what looked like ick, but I have never seen it like this. Before I know it all my tangs have it. First, one to die the lieutenant tang then the Achilles then the naso and last the blue tang which seemed like he may out last the sickness. It was like a slow death, and I thought I could keep them fed and happy, and they would shake it. I never pulled any of the tangs to treat them. I ended up losing a mandarin goby and a scooter dragonet. I talked to the guy who I got the Achilles fish from and he did not give me a direct answer on what happened to my fish. I have been buying fish from him for a few years. He did let me pick out a few fish for a new sps tank of mine for free. I have since tried to add four different tangs to this tank. Only one fish out of the four has lived and it’s a yellow tang. He has been fine and is the only living tang in my tank, and it looks like he's going to my only tang L.

During the time of sickness, none of my wrasse were ill. I have five leopards various kinds and a flame wrasse.

I am reaching out for some help and some identification of what I have in my tank. I would love to get back to at least two tangs in my tank but I can settle for just the one if I have to. I am not sure pulling all my fish to go fallow is something I want to do as I have some wrasse that I hold dear to me I would not risk losing them. Could the medication I dosed have “unlocked” so to speak something that was a problem in my tank that was hiding all along or did it cause the Achillies to show something that was hiding on/in him?

Below are pictures of the last tang I lost a blonde naso.

My tank is over one year old with about half the rock being older then the tank. The build thread is in my signature. Parameters are stable PH is around 7.8 to 8.1. Salinity is always 25 Alk stable at 8.2 calc stable at 450.

Disclosure I do realize I was pushing the limit with the number of tangs. I am human, and I have made many mistakes in my five years of the hobby. This is my largest tank at 180 gallons. I am not here to discuss a bad decision I made and surely one I regret and one I will for sure learn from. I am here looking to educate myself on what I am dealing with. Note to self do not let someone tell you they will QT a fish for you and don’t let someone talk you into adding a fish that probably doesn’t belong in your tank. In the end, it was my choice and risk, and no one else’s, but my wife and I truly miss our miss. We had bonded with them and give them all names.

Thank you in advance,

Amp
50334662_402992440439788_3940978767228305408_n.jpg
50442612_407302750013361_8590660729235832832_n.jpg
50563424_2269526669951851_8294412662754770944_n.jpg
50586641_349090295682342_4449964445145235456_n.jpg

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend was velvet. Which by your description I was guessing anyway before I saw the pics.

Sorry for the losses :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
I concur 100%. Your experience reflects my own, and is normal, unfortunately. This is a fish requiring all fish he properly treated and a good quarantine procedure followed. I’m very sorry for your loss. Here’s an extension of that, my experience in that realm, collectively:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Sorry for your losses:(

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend was velvet. Which by your description I was guessing anyway before I saw the pics.

Sorry for the losses :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

I concur 100%. Your experience reflects my own, and is normal, unfortunately. This is a fish requiring all fish he properly treated and a good quarantine procedure followed. I’m very sorry for your loss. Here’s an extension of that, my experience in that realm, collectively:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Sorry for your losses:(

Thank you both for a fast response. I was afraid this is velvet. I will look into treatment and the risk and pulling all my leopards out. Thank you both again and thank you for being so nice.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if I remove all my fish for six weeks if I also need to remove my two dwarf eels.
Yes, you would need to remove and treat them as well. The challenge here is your leopards (which are precious to you I understand I keep 8 of them) will not tolerate CP which Is how the eels need treated. The eels won't tolerate copper which is how the wrasse need treated.

andys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had velvet little less than a year ago. Removed all my fish and qted every fish for 4 months. 300 gallons display sat fish less for that period. I put them all back in and where reinfected with in 2 weeks. Lost 2 fish this time. Sold all my coral and coppered my display. Just started restocking corals again. There are those situations where they hibernated i guess. Anyway that was my experience

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bummer. Sorry you’re having to deal with this.

I appreciate that.

Yes, you would need to remove and treat them as well. The challenge here is your leopards (which are precious to you I understand I keep 8 of them) will not tolerate CP which Is how the eels need treated. The eels won't tolerate copper which is how the wrasse need treated.

I will look more into this. I did know Wrasse won't tolerate CP. Good information. In my planning I was looking at multiple different QT tanks. Just One isn't going to work.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had velvet little less than a year ago. Removed all my fish and qted every fish for 4 months. 300 gallons display sat fish less for that period. I put them all back in and where reinfected with in 2 weeks. Lost 2 fish this time. Sold all my coral and coppered my display. Just started restocking corals again. There are those situations where they hibernated i guess. Anyway that was my experience

Wow that's absolutely insane. I really hope that's not the secnario for me.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate it for you. I am currently nursing two clowns back to health. I took them in because a guy was getting rid of them, couldn't have that. But I only had freshwater tanks so I've rally got to be on my toes or they are lost. So far better but it could turn fast sorry that happened and no love lost here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back