I need help with lighting PLEASE

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I ordered the IM Nuvo 150 ext and it is finally coming in. For those of you who don't know, it's a very deep tank. The dimensions are 47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”. Now I'm pretty sure I'm set on radions (was between that or neptunes) but I'm not sure what is the right amount of light. Long term, I'm wanting a mixed reef with some acros and other sps. What should I get? 2 XR30 running long ways front to back? Or 4 XR15 running the width of it? Or go a different direction altogether? I'm just spending the money now but want to do it right. Please help. Thank you

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends on how you end up setting everything up. If hardcore into coral and you have a lot of rock work, then you might need two rows of lights to cover 36 inches. xr30s can cover 24x24 for some folks, but others double them up even in that area, or cut them down to 18x18 for packed reefs with colonies - the shadows are real. If you just want corals on rocks in a small slice of the tank, then just can just focus light over that and not worry so much about the open water.

You don't have to get it perfect right now... you can add more later if you want.

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends on how you end up setting everything up. If hardcore into coral and you have a lot of rock work, then you might need two rows of lights to cover 36 inches. xr30s can cover 24x24 for some folks, but others double them up even in that area, or cut them down to 18x18 for packed reefs with colonies - the shadows are real. If you just want corals on rocks in a small slice of the tank, then just can just focus light over that and not worry so much about the open water.

You don't have to get it perfect right now... you can add more later if you want.
So would I be better going XR15s then and have 2 rows? Or just buy 4 XR15s and have them going long ways for now?

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know 2 XR15s is 1 XR30 but I think it was proven that they get a little bit more spread? Could be wrong on that

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can spread the xr15s out more. I don't know if you will need 4x of the xr30s, it is just possible and others have needed that much. Even 6x xr15s could work. The tank is not that tall, so that helps. I guess that the point that I was trying to make is that should not trust the spread that EcoTech tells you about these things. A 36 inch deep tank is no joke to light and many people end up lighting it like a pair of 18 inch deep tanks.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of options besides radions. Just saying. That said I have radions, hydra, photon, noopsyche and black boxes. Bang for the buck goes to the noopsyche but I'm liking the photon 32 with 4 bulb t5 hybrid over my latest addition, tank is 36x22x22

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of options besides radions. Just saying. That said I have radions, hydra, photon, noopsyche and black boxes. Bang for the buck goes to the noopsyche but I'm liking the photon 32 with 4 bulb t5 hybrid over my latest addition, I tank is 36x22x22
I have a photon with a T5 hybrid and like it a lot :)

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure I wanted to go the t5 route again. I was in the hobby about 10 years ago and had a used 8 bulb t5 fixture and hated it lol. It was probably because it was a piece of junk and now I have PTSD from it

So if I didn't go with radions, what should I go with? My budget for lighting is around 2,200. Im also not looking for a windex tank just throwing that out there. I just want solid lighting so that if I want to add a clam or a light craving sps down the road I won't be limited by my lighting choice

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I prefer to get this out of the way since this is one of the higher expenses. Also my tank arrives in a week and would like to make a selection within the next week or so just so I have it ready

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9588.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to give opinions on which LEDs to get since I don't use any, but a lot of people hate the EcoTech software... but people hate software from other brands too. :) If somebody made me use LEDs, the best tanks that I have seen are lit by Photon V2s using all channels near 100% - Tim Herman (therman) has one of these if you can find his threads.

I would buy what you need now and then add later if you have too... the warranties are only so long and these things do break.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure I wanted to go the t5 route again. I was in the hobby about 10 years ago and had a used 8 bulb t5 fixture and hated it lol. It was probably because it was a piece of junk and now I have PTSD from it

So if I didn't go with radions, what should I go with? My budget for lighting is around 2,200. Im also not looking for a windex tank just throwing that out there. I just want solid lighting so that if I want to add a clam or a light craving sps down the road I won't be limited by my lighting choice
Honestly with a tank of those dimensions, you'll need to plan out your higher and lower PAR corals/inverts since it will be difficult to cover the entire tank evenly. Just buy what you feel will work for now, and add on later if needed. Depending on your rockscape, you might only need 2 LED lights...

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to give opinions on which LEDs to get since I don't use any, but a lot of people hate the EcoTech software... but people hate software from other brands too. :) If somebody made me use LEDs, the best tanks that I have seen are lit by Photon V2s using all channels near 100% - Tim Herman (therman) has one of these if you can find his threads.

I would buy what you need now and then add later if you have too... the warranties are only so long and these things do break.
I have seen many many people talk poorly on mobius. I also bought the apex controller hoping that would help with controlling it. That's why originally I was going to go with Neptune Skys but a lot of people are talking me out of it I feel

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL of the tech in reefing is garbage. All of it. You either have to accept it and make the most of it, or buy things that don't have tech. You don't need a light that has an app, but you can get one. You don't need a pump with WiFi, but you can get one. Cameras and alerts in your doorbell or license plates are better and easier to use than a $1000 light.

What is even worse is that sometimes you figure out how to use to the "tech" and the workarounds and then a manufacturer replaces it with an "upgrade" that is worse - this is Mobius to most people.

Edit: FWIW, the things that don't have tech usually are cheaper and last longer. It is not as much fun to some people.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but a lot of people hate the EcoTech software
I forgot about that.
Reefbreeders app and my Ai I get along with. Noopsyche app is so so. My radions are gen4 and I control them using a reeflink. I don't buy new ecotech because I hate mobius. I recently bought 4 nero powerheads over vortechs for that reason.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello. I ordered the IM Nuvo 150 ext and it is finally coming in. For those of you who don't know, it's a very deep tank. The dimensions are 47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”. Now I'm pretty sure I'm set on radions (was between that or neptunes) but I'm not sure what is the right amount of light. Long term, I'm wanting a mixed reef with some acros and other sps. What should I get? 2 XR30 running long ways front to back? Or 4 XR15 running the width of it? Or go a different direction altogether? I'm just spending the money now but want to do it right. Please help. Thank you
You will get many recommendations based on usage, favorites and loyalty to certain brands.
Not knowing your budget, I recommend for cost and performance:
Noopsyche K7 pros
OR
Orphek OR3 light bars (sky blue and blue plus)
OR
Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get many recommendations based on usage, favorites and loyalty to certain brands.
Not knowing your budget, I recommend for cost and performance:
Noopsyche K7 pros
OR
Orphek OR3 light bars (sky blue and blue plus)
OR
Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd
My budget is around 2200. With that being said, do you have a different recommendation?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back