Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks an IM ext 100 and I have 3 square lights for a more average depth tank. Same width as yours tho. The middle light is a radion xr15 g6 if that helps.. kind of wish I shopped around more for my lighting.. I like how the tank looks tho so that's all that matters...

Attachments

• 20230531_102632.jpg
    20230531_102632.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks an IM ext 100 and I have 3 square lights for a more average depth tank. Same width as yours tho. The middle light is a radion xr15 g6 if that helps.. kind of wish I shopped around more for my lighting.. I like how the tank looks tho so that's all that matters...
Beautiful tank. Why do you wish you shopped around more? Are you not happy with the XR15 G6? And did you go pro or blue?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Why do you wish you shopped around more? Are you not happy with the XR15 G6? And did you go pro or blue?
Mines a blue. I never had a chance to look into radions or other options as the lfs just picked it and sold it to me while I was still very new to the hobby.

I'm happy with the lights I just wish mostly I had them mounted differently. They look a little messy imo. But the blue radion, you don't get super high par.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a blue. I never had a chance to look into radions or other options as the lfs just picked it and sold it to me while I was still very new to the hobby.

I'm happy with the lights I just wish mostly I had them mounted differently. They look a little messy imo. But the blue radion, you don't get super high par.
If I was to go the Radion route I was going to get 4 XR15 pros or 2 blue and 2 pro xr15 and mix. Positioned in a 2x2 square evenly spaced above the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You think I could get away with 3? Positioned how?
10-12” above water line should work
I run orpheks and about 12”above and very good coverage

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with them but some potential bang for buck, what about some Reefi Uno 2's?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another brand I've never looked into/heard about. Do you have experience with them?
Not personally but use the search function for "reefi uno" and one thread I found praised them immensely, one person saying they "smoke" the xr15 in performance. Coverage and output seem insane. This is purely from research.

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into this! Thank you!
Not personally but use the search function for "reefi uno" and one thread I found praised them immensely, one person saying they "smoke" the xr15 in performance. Coverage and output seem insane. This is purely from research.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I ordered the IM Nuvo 150 ext and it is finally coming in. For those of you who don't know, it's a very deep tank. The dimensions are 47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”. Now I'm pretty sure I'm set on radions (was between that or neptunes) but I'm not sure what is the right amount of light. Long term, I'm wanting a mixed reef with some acros and other sps. What should I get? 2 XR30 running long ways front to back? Or 4 XR15 running the width of it? Or go a different direction altogether? I'm just spending the money now but want to do it right. Please help. Thank you
Congrats! I can’t speak to the Skyyes (or however they’re spelled). Admittedly they came out a month after I bought my Radions and probably would have went with them because Apex/Neptune is the beast I know. If you don’t have an Apex and aren’t going “all in” on that ecosystem, I’d go Radions personally.

The Radions are fantastic. They create a nice blanket of light more like T5’s these days (older generations like the 3 and before did not).

2 would be great over you tank. You can add some of those LED bars that fit on the side of them down the road to alleviate shading if you think it’s an issue in a few years. Or turn them 90 degrees and add a 3rd later.

Either Skyyes or Radions will suit your needs. 2 is the right number for a “grow whatever you want today” tank. 3 XR15’s would suit you just fine for “LPS and Softies” and 2 XR15’s spaced appropriately would probably get you the “chill and softies” vibe.

I have had 2 (3?) children since the last time I used an AI. I’m sure they’ve improved.

Stay away from Kessil for anything other than supplemental lighting.

Lighting is big $$ and I’d glance at the reefbreeders, photon, Orphek, and Atlantik (I think those are other low-key solid brands) if I were you.

I have a Will’s I bought on Amazon for $100 on a lark for a frag tank and I’m impressed. No app. It’s on a Wi-Fi timer. But it actually works.

OP
OP
S

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I can’t speak to the Skyyes (or however they’re spelled). Admittedly they came out a month after I bought my Radions and probably would have went with them because Apex/Neptune is the beast I know. If you don’t have an Apex and aren’t going “all in” on that ecosystem, I’d go Radions personally.

The Radions are fantastic. They create a nice blanket of light more like T5’s these days (older generations like the 3 and before did not).

2 would be great over you tank. You can add some of those LED bars that fit on the side of them down the road to alleviate shading if you think it’s an issue in a few years. Or turn them 90 degrees and add a 3rd later.

Either Skyyes or Radions will suit your needs. 2 is the right number for a “grow whatever you want today” tank. 3 XR15’s would suit you just fine for “LPS and Softies” and 2 XR15’s spaced appropriately would probably get you the “chill and softies” vibe.

I have had 2 (3?) children since the last time I used an AI. I’m sure they’ve improved.

Stay away from Kessil for anything other than supplemental lighting.

Lighting is big $$ and I’d glance at the reefbreeders, photon, Orphek, and Atlantik (I think those are other low-key solid brands) if I were you.

I have a Will’s I bought on Amazon for $100 on a lark for a frag tank and I’m impressed. No app. It’s on a Wi-Fi timer. But it actually works.
Holy cow! Thank you for all of the information!! So I bought an apex for this tank and that's why originally I wanted to go the Neptune route. However I am still seeing a lot of people indifferent about the performance on them... but am also seeing a ton of people that love them. So this is why I'm stuck on what to do. Everyone is going to have their opinion about all of these lights and I just don't know what direction to go into. The thing that is hurting me the most is not being able to see them in person. Video to real life comparison is completely different. I like blue, but not windex especially because I think windex dulls fish color. So that's why I was leaning towards 4 XR15 pros OR 2 XR15 pro and 2 XR15 blues. Or 2 neptune sky's haha. Idk what to do

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read similar praise. The OP has time to research ;)
Sometimes researching can be more fun than the purchase and definatly can be a learning experience.
Anytime there is a lighting question the replies become overwhelming with all the different choices.
The reefbreeders come with a 2 year warranty and from what I have heard good CS :thinking-face:

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Thank you for all of the information!! So I bought an apex for this tank and that's why originally I wanted to go the Neptune route. However I am still seeing a lot of people indifferent about the performance on them... but am also seeing a ton of people that love them. So this is why I'm stuck on what to do. Everyone is going to have their opinion about all of these lights and I just don't know what direction to go into. The thing that is hurting me the most is not being able to see them in person. Video to real life comparison is completely different. I like blue, but not windex especially because I think windex dulls fish color. So that's why I was leaning towards 4 XR15 pros OR 2 XR15 pro and 2 XR15 blues. Or 2 neptune sky's haha. Idk what to do
Get the Radions if you’re not sure. Proven winner. Yes, the apex gives you more control in an app you’ll already be using but the best advice for lighting I can give you is: set it and forget it.

Get 2 Radion XR30’s or even 2 XR15’s, set them to AB+, choose a 11-13 hour lighting window that works for your life, and don’t do anything other than change the intensity for acclimation. You’ll get some nice blue (but not too blue) in the morning and evening and a good bright spectrum mid-day for growth.

Don’t get the Pros unless something has drastically changed between Gen4 and Gen5 that I don’t know. The Radion Blues are plenty white enough in the AB+ program. I hate the name “Pro” and “Blue” as it should be more like “Grow out Tank” and “Display Tank”

I did have the same mental debate you’re having now. No bowl of windex for me. Once I saw the Pro’s (at a grow out facility) it became apparent they’re for growing coral. That isn’t to say people don’t use them at home. You can even bend them to blue, but 95% of people will want and should get the Blue.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read similar praise. The OP has time to research ;)
Sometimes researching can be more fun than the purchase and definatly can be a learning experience.
Anytime there is a lighting question the replies become overwhelming with all the different choices.
The reefbreeders come with a 2 year warranty and from what I have heard good CS :thinking-face:
I don’t run them but +1 to good customer service from the company. Also people seem to like them.

That being said, Neptune and Ecotech also have excellent customer service in (and sometimes out of) warranty windows.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the debate gets out of hand and degrades to the “$50 went missing from my wallet and I’m 80% sure it was my Kessil” or “A Radion ran off with my mom and my dad and I are all alone” stories:

All the lights, with proper placement and number of units, will do what you want. All the lights, will possibly suffer warranty issues (lemons). Neptune, Ecotech, Reefbreeders, etc (maybe not maxxspect/coralvue) will get you taken care of.

Remember that lighting is one part of the equation and that outside of intensity, most creatures will adapt. Water quality, nutrients, and parameters also play a big part. Whatever you get: SET IT AND FORGET IT.

Also. Don’t buy Kessils. They’re awful.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back