I need help with my protein skimmer

baylisascaris97

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2023
Messages
271
Reaction score
150
Location
NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I am having a lot of trouble with my new skimmer. I bought a reef octo essence 130 for my 55 gallon tank. I had a deltec on there that worked great (when the pump wasn’t seizing up) but was loud. I cannot seem to be able to dial in the octo. I’ve had it for 4 weeks now and the minute it goes haywire especially after changing filter floss. I also started all for reef and it goes crazy when I add that in. My water level is 7.5”. The cup is just constantly overflowing. Right now the dial is set at 16 and is wet skimming. Thoughts.
 
Dont know what 16 means, but id open my reef octo more if it were overflowing. Doesnt closing force the water higher in the neck?
I also have to wait 2 hours between adjustments
 
Think it’s oversized for even a heavily loaded 55 gal. With a skimmer bigger is not better. With an oversized skimmer you’ll struggle to get a consistent skimmate collection. You either don’t collect if you turn it down or overflow when you turn it up.
Sorry, probably not the answer you’re looking for. Just sharing my experience
 
Generally the cup filling that fast indicates the skimmer is too deep/low in the water. You probably need to raise it up an inch or two.
Could try to bring it closer to 7” depth. Doubt it will help. His target depth is between 7-8”. He’s dead on. It could take a bit more time to completely break in. Even then..,. The underlying problem will be the body and neck is too big for that tank. Not enough proteins to gather and float a head. Tried tinkering with this very thing many times on many tanks. A shame. It’s a nice skimmer. Maybe a good excuse to get a bigger tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new