I need help with setting up my filtration properly

reefDevX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I have had my tank set up for a few months and I have had some great success and some epic loses. I am trying to set my filtration set up and I have order a ton of stuff but not sure if I need everything.

My goal is to have crystal clear water that is beneficial to all the inhabitants.

Lets talk setup :)

Waterbox 20g Cube
AI Prime 16HD lighting
Cheap Protein Skimmer
50W Heater
InTank Chamber Filter Media Basket
Nero 3
ATO system

For the current filtration system I am using the following but its not giving me the desired results.
- Phosguard
- Activated Carbon
- Filter floss
- Filter foam
- Plastic Bio balls

Things I have purchased:
- Chemi-pure blue nano
- Purigen filter pack 100ML
- Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Cubes

This is how I am planning on setting it up and let me know if I am incorrect or if I am doing too much

In order on how it will be filtered:

Top of Chamber
1. Filter Floss

Middle Chamber
2. Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Cubes
3. Activated Carbon
4. Chemi-pure blue nano
5. Purigen filter pack 100ML

Bottom Chamber
6. Plastic Bio balls
7. Filter Form

Do you think this is too much and will I damage my tank?

Tank houses
5 fish
SPS & LPS corals

Random Questions:

1. How often do I need to change things out?
2. The carbon I purchase is a lot finer then the original I got with the tank and some pieces are coming out of the filter mesh bags. Should I purchase different mesh bags or is this normal?
3. Any other recommendations, The goal is to get a crystal clear tank

Other things you should know, I am battling a hair algae outbreak and trying to get everything under control and good again.

I tried to link everything in the post so you can see what I have purchased.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I have had my tank set up for a few months and I have had some great success and some epic loses. I am trying to set my filtration set up and I have order a ton of stuff but not sure if I need everything.

My goal is to have crystal clear water that is beneficial to all the inhabitants.

Lets talk setup :)

Waterbox 20g Cube
AI Prime 16HD lighting
Cheap Protein Skimmer
50W Heater
InTank Chamber Filter Media Basket
Nero 3
ATO system

For the current filtration system I am using the following but its not giving me the desired results.
- Phosguard
- Activated Carbon
- Filter floss
- Filter foam
- Plastic Bio balls

Things I have purchased:
- Chemi-pure blue nano
- Purigen filter pack 100ML
- Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Cubes

This is how I am planning on setting it up and let me know if I am incorrect or if I am doing too much

In order on how it will be filtered:

Top of Chamber
1. Filter Floss

Middle Chamber
2. Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Cubes
3. Activated Carbon
4. Chemi-pure blue nano
5. Purigen filter pack 100ML

Bottom Chamber
6. Plastic Bio balls
7. Filter Form

Do you think this is too much and will I damage my tank?

Tank houses
5 fish
SPS & LPS corals

Random Questions:

1. How often do I need to change things out?
2. The carbon I purchase is a lot finer then the original I got with the tank and some pieces are coming out of the filter mesh bags. Should I purchase different mesh bags or is this normal?
3. Any other recommendations, The goal is to get a crystal clear tank

Other things you should know, I am battling a hair algae outbreak and trying to get everything under control and good again.

I tried to link everything in the post so you can see what I have purchased.
Chemi pure will really help with the bacterial side because most plastic bio balls suck so personally, I don't think you need the plastic ones.
I don't think it will hurt the livestock but just make sure that the purigen and phosguard doesn't completely strip the water of nutrients.

1. Change the carbon every 2 to 4 weeks
2. I personally don't really like messy filter chambers so I would get better mesh. bags but it's not the end of the world if you don't.
3. I suggest PhosBan instead of your PhosGuard because PhosGuard is aluminum based and can leach aluminum into the water column. Maybe also get a refugium going instead of your chemical filtration because a fuge can support beneficial animals and pods.

Do you have a skimmer in your tank?, and make sure your bio load is not too much for a 20g. Excess nutrients can cause GHA

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi-Pure Blue is mostly carbon, so you probably don’t need both. I would second the suggestion for a protein skimmer if you don’t already have one. A UV is something I would also suggest if you want really clear water.

OP
OP
reefDevX

reefDevX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a protein skimmer but I am not sure if its very good. I haven't learned how to properly set up the right about of air flow. I ordered other nano protein skimmers but it didn't fit so I had to send it back. Open to suggestions for another protein skimmer that fits inside the sump area.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a protein skimmer but I am not sure if its very good. I haven't learned how to properly set up the right about of air flow. I ordered other nano protein skimmers but it didn't fit so I had to send it back. Open to suggestions for another protein skimmer that fits inside the sump area.
Air life protein skimmers are mostly junk.
Get a better HOB skimmer for 100$ its really going to help

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a quality protein skimmer. And when I added a quality UV filter to one of my tanks, the difference in clarity was significant. Big proponent of both skimmer and UV. Just make sure the flow through the UV filter is correct.

OP
OP
reefDevX

reefDevX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I don't have enough space to HOB for the protein skimmer :(

Back