I need help with upgrading my ato

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,332
Location
Williamstown NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current ato setup:
F0BF89AC-3C84-4085-BDEB-F8C87D299051.jpeg

as you can see it’s just a 5 gallon bucket with some rodi tubing going out to the sump.

what’s not the clearest is that it is constantly full because it has a direct connection to my rodi source.
image.jpg

(There’s also a ball valve up stream for emergency shut-off)

now onto the upgrades.

I plan on eventually getting one of the prefabricated ato reservoirs (probablyThis one)

How would I go about keeping the new reservoir connected to my rodi source, without drilling any holes in the acrylic?
The page does state that it has a couple holes for rodi tubing and or float switches,

my first thought was using a float switch, and a solenoid connected to a breakout box. But it seems that requires me to have a controller system which I don’t have nor can afford at the moment.

any suggestions?
 
This is my current ato setup:
F0BF89AC-3C84-4085-BDEB-F8C87D299051.jpeg

as you can see it’s just a 5 gallon bucket with some rodi tubing going out to the sump.

what’s not the clearest is that it is constantly full because it has a direct connection to my rodi source.
image.jpg

(There’s also a ball valve up stream for emergency shut-off)

now onto the upgrades.

I plan on eventually getting one of the prefabricated ato reservoirs (probablyThis one)

How would I go about keeping the new reservoir connected to my rodi source, without drilling any holes in the acrylic?
The page does state that it has a couple holes for rodi tubing and or float switches,

my first thought was using a float switch, and a solenoid connected to a breakout box. But it seems that requires me to have a controller system which I don’t have nor can afford at the moment.

any suggestions?
In mine which is an 18 gal unit….. my pump is in the reservoir and sensor is at the sump. The sensor sends a signal to the pump to disburse water until it reaches level
Fabricated unit have holes for pump and wiring
 
In mine which is an 18 gal unit….. my pump is in the reservoir and sensor is at the sump. The sensor sends a signal to the pump to disburse water until it reaches level
Fabricated unit have holes for pump and wiring
That’s not the problem here. The problem is that my current setup uses a float valve to make sure my reservoir doesn’t overflow.

My reservoir is connected directly to my rodi filter so it constantly stays full.
I want to use a float switch to keep my reservoir full at all times. I need a way to have a float switch trigger water to fill the reservoir.
 
Float switch to a relay that activate solenoid valve? Or probably you can exclude relay and just use solenoid valve and switch.
 
I have yet to see a solenoid for ro/di that has decent reviews. My current system is a float valve on my 50g water storage tank. Issue with having a constant live source of water is if can have a constant water source lol.
Do you only fill it once a week or let it fill whenever its used?
 
So people understand what the automated solutions do they use a high and low level sensor to turn on the RO when the water is low and turn off the RO at a high level. I normally place a float above the high level sensor in case of solenoid failure. The advantage is that you never have to lift a bucket of top off water ever again and you don't get the TDS creep destroying your DI resign that you get from not having an ATO container.

These can be very reliable. I used an industrial spectrapure system when I worked at an LFS on a 10,000 GPD unit and had no problems after over 5 years of use. That system is still at the store today and to my knowledge has never malfunctioned or needed service It is an outstanding solution.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new