I need serious help with my build.

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bow front that’s been running since beginning of February. Tank was set up with live sand, fluval cycle and a few live rocks from a tank at the LFS

AI Nero Power head
Aqueon hang on back filter
CPR aquatics protein skimmer

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

These numbers were taken after about a 35%-45% water change.
At this point it should be clear that my parameters are completely out of whack.
I have an API Test kit which I now know was a bad choice. It was the one my dad always used growing up so when I got back in the hobby I picked one up.

Inhabitants:
Picasso & Ocellaris Clown hosting a carpet
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Snowflake Eel (8”-10”)
6 Line Wrasse
Halloween Tuxedo Urchin
Halloween Hermit
Electric Blue Hermit
CUC includes nassaruis, bumble bee, astrea, nerite and margarita snails, one trochus and one smaller turbo and a sand conch
Coral Banded Shrimp
RBTA
Super Rainbow BTA
Darasa Clam
Frozen Tundra Trachy
Zoas
A chalice
Xenia
Small Kenya Tree
Small Neon Green Nepthia
Small Toadstool Leather
3 1” frag plugs of SPS
1 1.5”-2” red candy cup coral
1 3”x2” red candy cup coral
1 green mushroom silver dollar size
1 brown mushroom with light spots
1 unknown, possibly acan or favia?

Most people like to “get their feet wet” when trying a new hobby.... me, I dove right in with a rocket powered jet pack, going so fast it would melt your face. I admit, I made mistakes and introduced things too quickly and now am paying for it. I thought I was doing enough research on tank mate compatibility, tank sizes etc. etc. but recently I’ve had two fish die. I’m moving 6 hours away in about 4 days and this is the worst possible time for things to go wrong.
Positives:
Corals are thriving, I have seen new growth on almost all my sps, my clam seems very happy and the trachy and favia? look very happy as well. Those being the most sensitive inhabitants in the tank, I assumed nothing was wrong until one of my corals died (I think this was due to the carpet moving) and one of the fish died (A Clarkii clown) The downfall basically started when the carpet moved and was compounded with a hot day, a lack of research and ice cubes (which I’m certain is responsible for the wonky parameters)

I have a 10 gallon “holding/observation tank” that has a baby lemon peel angel, snowstorm clown, wall hammer, frammer, branching hammer, blastomussa & unknown anemone (long tentacles, purple mouth, tentacles kinda glow green at night) everything I have in this tank is doing absolutely amazing. Blasto polyps are huge, the euphyllias are wide open and the clown likes to lay on the wall hammer at night

I have a 55 gallon Hexagon waiting to be set up after the move.

And so to finally get to the main questions now that you know a little bit as to what’s going on, would it be better to completely start over and do it right with more patience after I move? Give my livestock to the local LFS? Should I keep my favorite livestock only and give the rest to the LFS? And ultimately and ideally, how can I save the tank as a whole? I realize that I am responsible for the happiness and well-being of everything I put in my tank and I admit that as a beginner I made several mistakes, I have accepted that and am ready to move on in a way that is best for all my inhabitants so as to prevent any more losses.

Thank you for your time.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a breath. Sounds like you're overwhelmed.

I don't see how giving the tank or inhabitants away solves anything. Yes a move with a reef tank is stressful and you may need to make an extra 6hr drive with it and the gear but it can be done. If you've learned, you'll be in a better position when you set everything back up. Just slow down

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a breath. Sounds like you're overwhelmed.

I don't see how giving the tank or inhabitants away solves anything. Yes a move with a reef tank is stressful and you may need to make an extra 6hr drive with it and the gear but it can be done. If you've learned, you'll be in a better position when you set everything back up. Just slow down
Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Panic mode was engaged. I do care very much about my tank and it’s inhabitants. If you have any recommendations on how I might make the move easier I would love to hear them. I have various styrofoam coolers and an ice chest, plastic containers for my frags and two battery powered air pumps to provide oxygen. I have all new sand ready to go and my brother and his wife are making fresh salt water where I’m moving to for when I arrive with the tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Panic mode was engaged. I do care very much about my tank and it’s inhabitants. If you have any recommendations on how I might make the move easier I would love to hear them. I have various styrofoam coolers and an ice chest, plastic containers for my frags and two battery powered air pumps to provide oxygen. I have all new sand ready to go and my brother and his wife are making fresh salt water where I’m moving to for when I arrive with the tank.
I understand the panic mode. I moved a full tank early this year.

My tips to make the move easier
Don't try to do the move, while your are moving everything else. Moving a home is stressful, moving a reef tank is more stressful. Plan to do then one at a time.

Large coolers are great for moving livestock and helping keep temps stable.

Pull most of your clean water first in the tear down. You don't want the transferring water to be nasty. There are a lot of tank move threads with ideas and procedures and step by step ideas that will help.

You can do this. It's going to be stressful but worth it.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the panic mode. I moved a full tank early this year.

My tips to make the move easier
Don't try to do the move, while your are moving everything else. Moving a home is stressful, moving a reef tank is more stressful. Plan to do then one at a time.

Large coolers are great for moving livestock and helping keep temps stable.

Pull most of your clean water first in the tear down. You don't want the transferring water to be nasty. There are a lot of tank move threads with ideas and procedures and step by step ideas that will help.

You can do this. It's going to be stressful but worth it.
Thank you. I do plan on splitting the livestock between the two tanks. In another of my posts I talk a little about my plans for my 55 gal. I am not sure how much "clean" water I have in my 36 display tank due to the parameters but because the 10gal is doing well I will try to save the water from there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back