I need serious help

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is filled with algae what do I do?
7caa8e439c35e34e7cb61de3bf2336a1.jpg
f41e192c000094c00e866e4c68171bff.jpg
f5a785fe94891fd54a73fb0d018e4b5a.jpg

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try and physically remove it. You need to get down to the reason of why you are growing the algae. Have you checked your nutrients? Are your phosphates and nitrates high??

Would you recommend taking all the rocks out with out corals and pressure washing them.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use a pressure washer. You can get some salt water in a bucket and give the rocks a good tooth brushing in that to get off most of it before replacing in tank. You want to keep em wet protect the good stuff your growing in the rocks.
The algae is going to come back so the scrubbing is temporary get you testing numbers see were they are at then folks can help find root cause and help you thru these uglies

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good info to post about your tank
Kind of water your using todo store bought treated tap etc
How old is tank?
Nitrates
Phosphates
Test kits your using
#reefsquad

Ps I’ve had a lot worse and folks here helped me get it under control so worry not Calvary is coming :)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out as much algae as possible mechanically. Then sort out your nutrient issue , cleanup crew etc. I would not recommend moving rocks or using chemical unless you absolute need it. Be patient and you should be able to get a hold of the situation in a month or two, . Tell us about your livestock, feeding regiment, water change schedule etc

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 7.9
Nitrite 0.3
Nitrate 0-1
Ammonia 0.2
Alkalinity dkh 8
Salinity 1.023
Temperature 77
Looks like the ammonia is causing the algae issue. Seems to be much more of it than bacteria. As well as algae always out competing bacteria for energy source. Dosing a bottle of bio spira after taking the above mentioned actions of mechanically removing as much algae as possible wouldnt hurt.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to know what phosphates are. Treating symptoms of water quality issues will accomplish nothing long term. Solve the underlying issues first (water parameters)then address the symptoms. If you are using red sea kits they will tell you where your numbers need to be.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 years old? Need to find the source of the notrite and ammonia. Did something big die in it?
This. Mature tanks don’t show nitrites or ammonia. Has anything died recently? Have you added anything?

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to know what phosphates are. Treating symptoms of water quality issues will accomplish nothing long term. Solve the underlying issues first (water parameters)then address the symptoms. If you are using red sea kits they will tell you where your numbers need to be.

I have to go get a phosphate test

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back