OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has happened before according to some other users. Personally I think this combo is too cute and too cool to pass up but if you’re not comfortable with it a Fairy or Flasher Wrasse would work well too.
That is why I keep shifting back and forth. The cool factor is unbelievable. But there is also that thing where you get things like you want them and the next morning something is buried.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fridmani Dottyback is the most peaceful Dottyback but I wouldn’t keep one with a Royal Gramma. Bicolor and Purple Dottybacks get very aggressive.

As for Firefish, do you mean most don’t live long coz they die from jumping instead of old age? If it’s either glad I gave up on them.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Wrong one! Firefish, if you’re intent on getting one, need a fully covered tank. They’re Champion jumpers. Wrasses too. Blennies can also be jumpy.
I have a Red Sea E-260 and we religiously make sure the screen cover is on, should never be a problem.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you’re good to go.

If you don’t want to Goby / Pistol Pair, almost all the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses you can consider. If you find a pair of them, I’d say go for it. Some of the Fairies get to 6 inches, so stick to those 5” and smaller and you’re set. Flashers are usually 3-4”.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Firefish, do you mean most don’t live long coz they die from jumping instead of old age? If it’s either glad I gave up on them.

The only firefish I ever had was around 10 years ago. I seem to remember them just getting skinny and dying. I am almost certain it would had been because they are timid fish and others eating before them. I am trying to be a more responsible reefer this time around.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the wrasse route, some Fairies and Flashers are more aggressive than others. If you go to this section click on a big thread called “All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria” by a member called @evolved, the resident wrasse expert.

Royal Gramma and Firefish should be fine together. Dottybacks, a bit more of a risk IMO.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the wrasse route, some Fairies and Flashers are more aggressive than others. If you go to this section click on a big thread called “All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria” by a member called @evolved, the resident wrasse expert.
Oh good to know! I really appreciate all of your time on answering questions and making suggestions, it helps.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) You’re welcome! Should be a beautiful tank! Definitely keep us posted! What corals are you planning to keep? Any SPS?
I might do one or two SPS eventually but they are not very forgiving. Mine will be rather natural, I am introducing real live rock, I am not into these more sterile tanks, I want pest and all. Currently my only coral is some xenia that came in on live rock. Corals will come over time after they are well thought out and timed. I guess it could be sps dominate depending on how well a frag or two does.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back