I need some help

gowlers321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot seem to figure out why my corals are dying, iv checked loads of my parameters and nothing seems to be pointing to a problem. Any ideas of possible reasons for the death. Thanks.

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.024
Dkh: 7.5
Temp: 25.6
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite and ammonia: 0
Calcium: 360ppm
Phosphate: 0.010
pH: 8.2

I'm 99% sure the problem isn't magnesium although I do not regularly test for this.

Corals I have lost in the last 2 weeks:
Fox coral
Chalice
Hammer coral
Goniopora

I also have a torch, 2 types of zoa's, pulsing xenia and Duncan that aren't looking too happy. I'm running carbon constantly in a media reactor.

Be great to hear some ideas :)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.01 phosphate seem extremely low. Very close to non existant. I'd try to bump them up to at least .03, maybe even as high as. 07 not sure of Duncan's but most softer corals like somewhat dirtier water.

OP
OP
gowlers321

gowlers321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.01 phosphate seem extremely low. Very close to non existant. I'd try to bump them up to at least .03, maybe even as high as. 07 not sure of Duncan's but most softer corals like somewhat dirtier water.
Okay iv added some neophos that should raise the phosphate by .04 ppm, any other ideas ?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using 0ppm rodi?
What is your lighting schedule and fixtures?

Where were these corals placed and how long did it take them to die?

Are your parameters stable? How stable?
Dosing? What?

Youll want to check that mag.
7.5 alk isnt bad but id shoot for 8 to give you some room if you arent dosing.
And shoot for 425 calcium with the alk at 8.
This could be as easy as adjusting your salinity up to 1.025. Looks like thats all it may need.

I also wouldnt focus on your phosphate being .01
Since its detectable on a hobby grade kit theres likely plenty available in the water for your corals and even more bound in your rocks.
I would first work on reducing your nitrate closer to 1 as elevated nitrates with near undetectable phosphate is worse than the opposite from my experience.

OP
OP
gowlers321

gowlers321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using 0ppm rodi?
What is your lighting schedule and fixtures?

Where were these corals placed and how long did it take them to die?

Are your parameters stable? How stable?
Dosing? What?

Youll want to check that mag.
7.5 alk isnt bad but id shoot for 8 to give you some room if you arent dosing.
And shoot for 425 calcium with the alk at 8.
This could be as easy as adjusting your salinity up to 1.025. Looks like thats all it may need.

I also wouldnt focus on your phosphate being .01
Since its detectable on a hobby grade kit theres likely plenty available in the water for your corals and even more bound in your rocks.
I would first work on reducing your nitrate closer to 1 as elevated nitrates with near undetectable phosphate is worse than the opposite from my experience.
The water is 0 ppm rodi and the lighting is an ai prime 16HD and I'm using the David Saxby lighting schedule. The corals where placed in various positions around the tank from the sand to top of the rocks. The corals had been in the tank for about 2-3 months. I dose reef complete by TMC. The tank remains fairly stable although there has been some fluctuations in nitrate and phosphate concentrations.
Thanks for your advice
I will get on it :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back