I Need Suggestions

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here's what's going on. About 2 months ago, my corals were looking pale, and my sps weren't growing as well. So, I decided to try to raise my nutrients to help the situation. Well, I over did it. My nitrates went from barely detectable to just below 5ppm(not a problem). My phosphates went from barely detectable to over .2ppm. My acro's started to STN and my monti got an algae spot on it from damage it suffered after a fall. Once I realized my problem, I decreased my feeding and added phosguard to bring down the phosphates. I also stopped dosing NOPOX because I was using so little in the first place when I had almost no nutrients. I was only using 0.2ml per day on a 170L system.

Now, my nitrates are at about 1ppm and my phosphates are at about .05ppm. My corals look a lot happier, and I just got some acro's from @WWC a week ago that look very happy. The polyps are extending very well on everyone. The monti has recovered and the algae is gone.

So, here is my problem. I now have a cyano outbreak. I have done a 20% water change and started skimming a little wetter. My phosphates continue to fluctuate from about .02ppm to .06ppm. I only feed a half a cube of mysis every other day for 5 fish.

My only real issue right now is the cyano. What should I do? Should I keep on my current track and wait it out, or does anyone have any other suggestions? The outbreak has only been here for about 6 days.

Here are some pictures of the new acro's.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here's what's going on. About 2 months ago, my corals were looking pale, and my sps weren't growing as well. So, I decided to try to raise my nutrients to help the situation. Well, I over did it. My nitrates went from barely detectable to just below 5ppm(not a problem). My phosphates went from barely detectable to over .2ppm. My acro's started to STN and my monti got an algae spot on it from damage it suffered after a fall. Once I realized my problem, I decreased my feeding and added phosguard to bring down the phosphates. I also stopped dosing NOPOX because I was using so little in the first place when I had almost no nutrients. I was only using 0.2ml per day on a 170L system.

Now, my nitrates are at about 1ppm and my phosphates are at about .05ppm. My corals look a lot happier, and I just got some acro's from @WWC a week ago that look very happy. The polyps are extending very well on everyone. The monti has recovered and the algae is gone.

So, here is my problem. I now have a cyano outbreak. I have done a 20% water change and started skimming a little wetter. My phosphates continue to fluctuate from about .02ppm to .06ppm. I only feed a half a cube of mysis every other day for 5 fish.

My only real issue right now is the cyano. What should I do? Should I keep on my current track and wait it out, or does anyone have any other suggestions? The outbreak has only been here for about 6 days.

Here are some pictures of the new acro's.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg
In my opinion, the best first step it to get your nitrates above 5ppm and stir the cyano to break it up (and preferably vacuum it out) twice a day. Some common strains of cyano cannot form mats when nitrates are above 3ppm. Once the mats are formed, they can survive much wider conditions.

OP
OP
IslandLifeReef

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am vacuuming it daily. Right now it is only a light color on the sand, but I don't want it to get to the mat stage.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back