I need to know some oceanarium forum, who could give me a hand?

Jessesun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everybody,

I am Jesse and konw this is a place of aquarium, but I want to know some forum about oceanarium, which is bigger than aquarim, anybody can help me with this question?

Thks a lot

Jesse

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jessesun

Jessesun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still wondering what the question is, however.

This being a chemistry forum, chemistry translates to any scale.
not like you said, aquarium is mainly displayed at home, while oceanarium is for public. and that equipment in them is completely different. Aquarium do not have too strict requirement for water quality, while oceanrium is not like that

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not like you said, aquarium is mainly displayed at home, while oceanarium is for public. and that equipment in them is completely different. Aquarium do not have too strict requirement for water quality, while oceanrium is not like that

Do you have a chemistry-related question for large scale aquariums?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I want to know what the water quality is for oceanrium, or when we have ozone to disinfect, what is concentration of ozone and contact time, how often etc?

That depends on the type of aquarium. My ozone article gives some references to published studies in large aquaria using ozone:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from the first one:

"In a marine mammal pool, for example, it was found that disinfection with 4 ppm ozone with a 30 minute contact time (a disinfection level much higher than is typically used in reef aquaria) did not reduce the pool's total organic carbon (TOC) (~13 ppm TOC), while the use of granular activated carbon (GAC) did reduce it by 37%. Interestingly, the combination of ozone and GAC was even more effective, removing 60-78% of the TOC, suggesting that the ozonation may have altered some of the molecules in a way that made them bind more strongly (or more rapidly) to GAC. An alternative explanation that cannot be ruled out involves biological transformations of the organic compounds taking place on the GAC surface as it became colonized with bacteria)."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jessesun

Jessesun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on the type of aquarium. My ozone article gives some references to published studies in large aquaria using ozone:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from the first one:

"In a marine mammal pool, for example, it was found that disinfection with 4 ppm ozone with a 30 minute contact time (a disinfection level much higher than is typically used in reef aquaria) did not reduce the pool's total organic carbon (TOC) (~13 ppm TOC), while the use of granular activated carbon (GAC) did reduce it by 37%. Interestingly, the combination of ozone and GAC was even more effective, removing 60-78% of the TOC, suggesting that the ozonation may have altered some of the molecules in a way that made them bind more strongly (or more rapidly) to GAC. An alternative explanation that cannot be ruled out involves biological transformations of the organic compounds taking place on the GAC surface as it became colonized with bacteria)."
Have you ever make oceanrium disinfection project? Although we are a ozone equipment factory, but in ozone appliaction for oceanrium, we do not have practice experience. only we need to such disinfection to improve products further

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever make oceanrium disinfection project? Although we are a ozone equipment factory, but in ozone appliaction for oceanrium, we do not have practice experience. only we need to such disinfection to improve products further

No, I only read that info in a scientific paper.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back