I Need to Know The Strongest Copepods...Battle Tested Copepods, Copepods That Beat Up Fish, Copepods That Survive Like Bruce Willis :-)

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your copepods. Copepods that don't just offer themselves up on a silver platter when put in the tank. Copepods that literally come from hiding in the rock and slap fish, throw their hands out and say "Want some of me"? Copepods that bench press 225lbs for a warm-up. Copepods that have Rambo and The Terminator in their contacts list. Copepods so bad that fish tremble at the sight of their glorious cope-muscles. Lol! Okay, sorry for all the jokery. Now down to business...

What's your favorite type and/or brand of copepod and why? I've tried several, I'm just curious what you all have a preference for and is there a specific reason for your preference.

2C024BB0-6899-4C5E-B752-055CFCBA0FE0.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about this also. Mine seem to get wiped out constantly except in the sump but in the DT the fish make them disappear.
Same here! Seems like no matter where I put them they lose the battle.

This is one reason refugiums exist. To provide a place for your pods to reproduce without pressure from fish.

If your fish are wiping them out, there isn't a "specialized pod" that your fish won't decimate. You must need a bigger supply.

Upvote 0

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one reason refugiums exist. To provide a place for your pods to reproduce without pressure from fish.

If your fish are wiping them out, there isn't a "specialized pod" that your fish won't decimate. You must need a bigger supply.
You need more pouros rockwork. My pods hide in my rocks until nighttime to avoid my fish

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here! Seems like no matter where I put them they lose the battle.
I had these big white amphipods in my sump for quite awhile but they never made it into the DT. I have dosed bottles like 5 times over 4 months and see them in the tank for awhile but then they just disappear. My tank is 6 months old with stable numbers, fish and coral but maybe it needs to mature more to sustain pods. I do have 3 wrasses though that always seem to be hunting.

Upvote 0

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these big white amphipods in my sump for quite awhile but they never made it into the DT. I have dosed bottles like 5 times over 4 months and see them in the tank for awhile but then they just disappear. My tank is 6 months old with stable numbers, fish and coral but maybe it needs to mature more to sustain pods. I do have 3 wrasses though that always seem to be hunting.
3 wrasses are gonna be murder on pods. If you put them in it’s a good idea to put them in at night since most wrasses sleep:

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your copepods. Copepods that don't just offer themselves up on a silver platter when put in the tank. Copepods that literally come from hiding in the rock and slap fish, throw their hands out and say "Want some of me"? Copepods that bench press 225lbs for a warm-up. Copepods that have Rambo and The Terminator in their contacts list. Copepods so bad that fish tremble at the sight of their glorious cope-muscles. Lol! Okay, sorry for all the jokery. Now down to business...

What's your favorite type and/or brand of copepod and why? I've tried several, I'm just curious what you all have a preference for and is there a specific reason for your preference.

2C024BB0-6899-4C5E-B752-055CFCBA0FE0.jpg
Are you sure this is a battle that can be won???

Upvote 0

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue is my pods are tiny. I can’t see them unless I am wearing my glasses. They cant more than 100 microns. There’re tons of them though. All over the glass. I just ordered some tigsbe pods and hopping these are bigger.
Oh yeah. I don’t have any fish that consume them. The smallest fish is a flame angel.

Upvote 0

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue is my pods are tiny. I can’t see them unless I am wearing my glasses. They cant more than 100 microns. There’re tons of them though. All over the glass. I just ordered some tigsbe pods and hopping these are bigger.
Oh yeah. I don’t have any fish that consume them. The smallest fish is a flame angel.
Flame angel will eat them. My coral beauty did when I had him

Upvote 0

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarin decimates my pods. I add one bottle to the DT and the rest go in my fuge. My Mandarin is a fat, happy girl so that's all that matters. Pods are mostly free food but I get needing them to outpace consumption. Mine don't so I buy pods once every month or so because my Mandarin isn't prepared food trained.

Upvote 0

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option to strengthen you pod numbers is dosing phyto daily. You'd be amazed as how fast they can cover your glass even with wrasses hunting constantly.
Does your daily phyto dose consist of live phytoplankton (like maybe nannochoropolis?), dead bottled phyto plankton (like maybe Brightwell), or maybe "cyro~preserved" frozen pastes (like those from BSD https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/algae-pastes/)?

If you are using any of the above phyto sources, what is the size of your system, and what is the volume of the dose you recommend? If your source is different, please explain...

TIA...

Upvote 0

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your daily phyto dose consist of live phytoplankton (like maybe nannochoropolis?), dead bottled phyto plankton (like maybe Brightwell), or maybe "cyro~preserved" frozen pastes (like those from BSD https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/algae-pastes/)?

If you are using any of the above phyto sources, what is the size of your system, and what is the volume of the dose you recommend? If your source is different, please explain...

TIA...
I am not sure what I am doing is correct so don’t follow my lead, but I dose live phyto (nanno). About a cup every 3-4 days. My phyto culture works great. I produce about 1.5 gallons per week. 2 quarts go in a bottle. Half a gallon to restart my culture and the rest to feed my copepod. I have no idea how much copepod I add a week. Maybe a gallons worth of copepods. I clean my culture every Friday. I fill a 1 gallon glass jar halfway with phyto, add maybe two cups of copepods and the rest saltwater from the tank. By Wednesday, the copepod jar has already cleared. I either add more phyto or just let it sit until Friday. On Friday i pour maybe 3/4 of the jar into the sump. Some copepod cultures my require two weeks before harvest.
Not sure if it has anything to do with me dosing phyto and copepods, but my nitrates dropped dramatically. It is down to 3ppm from 30ppm within two weeks. And I have actually double my fish feeding. I might have to add more phyto cultures as I run out of phyto quickly. It’s only Wednesday and i already used up two quarts. That because one copepod jar clears up by Sunday. There were millions of pods in that jar. When I shined a flash light, the side glass would turn white as the pods are attracted to light.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back