I Need to Review Frag Glueing Options again

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve been using a reef Epoxy and Coraffix to glue down my frags. Works really good. A little Coraffix on the plug, squish on the epoxy, little more Coraffix on the epoxy then twist it onto the rock. Takes a pretty big snail or urchin to dislodge it.

The problem is the Coraffix. I only get about two to three uses out of a tube and it gets to the point I can’t get it out of the tube which wastes 90% of it. Not sure if I’m not cleaning it properly when I put it away, or it’s just the product sets in the tube once it’s opened.

I’ve tried the smaller tubes of Gorilla glue gel, but experienced a disaster. Within two days of using the Gorilla Glue Gel, I had four shrimp die. Two skunk and two fire shrimp. One skunk shrimp survived. Don’t know if that was cause and affect from the glue or just coincidence, but afraid to use it now.

What are some other experienced safe glues that everybody has used and really like? I’m looking for options. I only have a dislodged Frag about every other month, so I don’t use it very often And hate to waste so much.

Jetson

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say the Gorilla Glue Gel Super Glue was a coincidence. It is pretty much the only thing I use for gluing corals.

Scrub the rock where the frag will be going, take the coral out of the water and dry the base or plug (depending on what you plan to glue, give the glue a few moments then return to the tank and press it on the spot where it will be glued, lift and press the plug back down until you see the glue is starting to bond to the rock (some times giving a little twist can help) then firmly gently press the coral/plug into it's intended spot. I then try to press the base of the glue down a bit with my finger to help shape it to the rock. . . this isn't "necessary" but I think it helps (carful though, the glue will try to stick to your finger).

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the bloodbank battle and for the first time my frag got dislodged. No big deal, glue it back down. Well, it happened about 5 freaking times. I now have the slowest grower in the group.

Anyway, I used thin superglue and sand the last time, like when you build a nsa rock structure. I'll need a hammer and chisel to move it now.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the Gorilla Glue Gel Super Glue was a coincidence. It is pretty much the only thing I use for gluing corals.

Scrub the rock where the frag will be going, take the coral out of the water and dry the base or plug (depending on what you plan to glue, give the glue a few moments then return to the tank and press it on the spot where it will be glued, lift and press the plug back down until you see the glue is starting to bond to the rock (some times giving a little twist can help) then firmly gently press the coral/plug into it's intended spot. I then try to press the base of the glue down a bit with my finger to help shape it to the rock. . . this isn't "necessary" but I think it helps (carful though, the glue will try to stick to your finger).
Lol! Yes, I’m a master at glueing my fingers together.

I suspect you are right on the Gorilla glue, but I’m still paranoid about it. Could be my iodine was low and four of the five were all trying to molt and couldn’t. I’ve still got some Gorilla Gel Super Glue, so I may try it again.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the polyplab grenade. It’s been nearly 3 years and I always have an easy squeeze. I can’t imagine dealing with another method again. Don’t try to save what’s left in the little tube, just chuck it and open a new one next time

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol! Yes, I’m a master at glueing my fingers together.

I suspect you are right on the Gorilla glue, but I’m still paranoid about it. Could be my iodine was low and four of the five were all trying to molt and couldn’t. I’ve still got some Gorilla Gel Super Glue, so I may try it again.
I can understand being paranoid haha. Really any brand of cyanoacrylate super glue gel should work the same way.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great idea. Looks like I could do several frags with one tube and chunk it. That would be much more cost effective.
I’ve had good success with them staying stuck too. Including fingers so watch out.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the Loctite Super Glue Brand. I get either the Gel Control or the Regular Loctite with the Squeeze Levers on the sides of the Bottles. Also I keep the Bottle(s) in an old Script Medicine Bottle, to make another barrier from the Glue Drying. Walmart always has this Glue in stock, for a decent price, and not over its shelf life. I’ve found this to be a problem with Super Glue’s from a Hardware Store.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla Glue Gel will not cause harm. Ideally, you should use a needle to break through the top of the applicator each time.

Always allow time for the epoxy to harden before putting in water. Takes about 5 minutes or so. I highly recommend talking the rock out of the water, drying the applied area with with a rag, putting glue down, then adding the semi pliable epoxy, then gluing the frag to the epoxy. Once epoxy has fully hardened, then place back in the water. Corals will be undisturbed by being out of the water for such a short period.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do alot of fragging, then cost can become an issue. BSI IC Gel is available is small toothpaste size tubes for a reasonable price. Instead of buying a .125 ounce per tube you can buy a big tube - Which makes you a little more comfortable about being aggressive with the glue.

Wiping off the top and putting the cap back on and these tubes can be used a year later - I've done it with leaving the tube outside in a years worth of weather.

Polyplab's glue is pretty amazing stuff. It doesn't start to cure/dry till it gets wet. Which means you can leave it uncovered for days on top of your tank without it turning into a crystal diamond booger. It's definitely not as price friendly as the BSI, but to do 2-4 frags and then toss the tube it's one of the best glues on the market.

Cyanoacrylate is really brittle so while it grabs tight it doesn't necessarily grab into the knooks and crannies and create a super tight bond.

The other step that most people forget is where you are mounting it to. If you are mounting on frag plugs then you are glue and go. But if you are mounting corals into the aquacape of your aquarium - You are trying to get a glue, any brand, to adhere to a 'live' surface. You need/should scrap the area of rock where you want to mount the frag till you get bright beige bare rock.

Just picking a spot and asking a glue to try to adhere to a rock, when you are really gluing it onto a layer of slippery algae ontop of the rock - is going to lead to multiple failures. Get a big CLEAN flat head screwdriver and scrape a small area to clean it and give the glue a clean base on your aquascape to adhere to.

Dave B

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a blob of gel super glue | Water weld epoxy | another blob of gel glue and then stick it down.
Holds fast and strong and doesnt have to be dry or anything. I normally bring the frags out dripping and apply the sandwich of glue and epoxy then plop it where I want it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy gel type super glue from harbor freight, in a 10 pack of small tubes. You get about three frags per tube. This keeps it from setting up in the bottle like normally happens. It can be a PITA for long fragging and gluing sessions, but they are great to have on hand when you need glue.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been using Gel CA, typically the stuff from BRS. Its thick and stays. For mounting frags drop of glue, little ball of 2part epoxy and then another drop of glue. CA sets up pretty quick and holds frag in place while the 2 part cures.

JoeReefer81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Glue Gel from the Dollar Tree, cheap and works great.
1683217398172.png

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gorilla Glue Gel will not cause harm. Ideally, you should use a needle to break through the top of the applicator each time.

Always allow time for the epoxy to harden before putting in water. Takes about 5 minutes or so. I highly recommend talking the rock out of the water, drying the applied area with with a rag, putting glue down, then adding the semi pliable epoxy, then gluing the frag to the epoxy. Once epoxy has fully hardened, then place back in the water. Corals will be undisturbed by being out of the water for such a short period.
Here is the basis of my concern on the Gorilla Glue Gel. On the back it shows two ingredients. The hydroquinone is the concern. If you look it up, it talks about toxicity to aquatic animals. I found one that said it was toxic to crustaceans. Not sure if that’s all crustacean like shrimp or just pods.

C9A258DD-79C1-4134-8152-AF781D3F8D77.jpeg

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished using 3 tubes of the stuff. I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a ton of pods, shrimp, snails, etc.
IMG_8131.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back