I officially suck at this.

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Reefer G2 (42 gal) from RedSea back in October along with a...
ReefMat 500
Skimmer 300
"Dead" rock
Live sand
5-stage RODI system
It took around 4 months to complete cycling with just the live sand for bacteria. We then transferred our 1 diamond back goby, 5 crabs, and 2 corals over from the old tank. (Nothing else was transferred over)
All was going well till about 2 months in when we started to get some diatoms and our local aquarium recommended Chemi Blue which seemed to have stopped it. Our nitrate ever since this point on has always been above 10ppm, and we can't seem to get it down with anything. Changing our filters for water when recommended along with the chemi-blue, using "de-nitrate" (even the liquid kind which stressed my only fish), and adding a nitrate reactor. There's nothing dead, we don't overfeed, water gets changed every week, have good circulation, and we tried different lighting levels.
About a week ago we swapped Chemi-blue with Matrix, causing the diatoms to come back, nitrate to spike, and ammonia to the highest I've ever seen.
Do we not have enough good bacteria? I've heard mixing different kinds of bacteria isn't great.? How the heck do I get the nitrate and ammonia down? Shall I giveth up? This fish deserves a reward

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Year 1 of reef tank typically goes thru cycles of undesirable algae. Don't sweat it too much. I wouldn't sweat the nitrate either unless you are having issues with coral. Can we see a full tank picture?

OP
OP
O

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Year 1 of reef tank typically goes thru cycles of undesirable algae. Don't sweat it too much. I wouldn't sweat the nitrate either unless you are having issues with coral. Can we see a full tank picture?
i have unfortunately had both a zoa and goni die/fall under battle. plus a snail. forgot to mention ammonia is 8.0 ppm...

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, glad and diatoms are inevitable in a new system. For me it was like this about 5 or 6 mos. in.

afc7e1a5-943f-4e8e-8052-a99d44487572_text.gif

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Reefer G2 (42 gal) from RedSea back in October along with a...
ReefMat 500
Skimmer 300
"Dead" rock
Live sand
5-stage RODI system
It took around 4 months to complete cycling with just the live sand for bacteria. We then transferred our 1 diamond back goby, 5 crabs, and 2 corals over from the old tank. (Nothing else was transferred over)
All was going well till about 2 months in when we started to get some diatoms and our local aquarium recommended Chemi Blue which seemed to have stopped it. Our nitrate ever since this point on has always been above 10ppm, and we can't seem to get it down with anything. Changing our filters for water when recommended along with the chemi-blue, using "de-nitrate" (even the liquid kind which stressed my only fish), and adding a nitrate reactor. There's nothing dead, we don't overfeed, water gets changed every week, have good circulation, and we tried different lighting levels.
About a week ago we swapped Chemi-blue with Matrix, causing the diatoms to come back, nitrate to spike, and ammonia to the highest I've ever seen.
Do we not have enough good bacteria? I've heard mixing different kinds of bacteria isn't great.? How the heck do I get the nitrate and ammonia down? Shall I giveth up? This fish deserves a reward
A little off topic you have the same tank as I do along with the reefmat and same skimmer. Have not set mine up yet but have a question. Did you remove all the dividers in the sump to fit them both?

OP
OP
O

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic you have the same tank as I do along with the reefmat and same skimmer. Have not set mine up yet but have a question. Did you remove all the dividers in the sump to fit them both?
only removed the sock filter compartment. it seemed to be the only way we could fit the reefmat in as well. definitely still a tight fit even without the compartment

OP
OP
O

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations for ammonia being over 8ppm....i can not find anything killed over

OP
OP
O

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are still not cycled. I would not put anything else in the tank. Get the fish out (back to the old tank) and order some real ocean live rock ASAP.
if only we had that tank back. just kidding, somehow it was even worse than where we're at now

Attachments

• IMG_4779.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
O

oddmegameg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something else wrong here .. I wouldn’t say anything to do with cycle .
There is no way a tank that old and running can not be cycled .

@brandon429 we need some reading material please
It definitely took longer than our other tank that had half as quality of parts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back