I put cyano and GHA in my tank on purpose...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails seem to die within a week of putting in the tank, I also lost two sea hares and a cucumber all since this Dino outbreak. So I think you could be right about toxins from the Dino. I am running GFO.
I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but unless you have high PO4 I would stop with the GFO. Some strains of dino's thrive when PO4 is limiting. I would definitely run GAC.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but unless you have high PO4 I would stop with the GFO. Some strains of dino's thrive when PO4 is limiting. I would definitely run GAC.

No need to worry about hijacking it’s an open discussion at this point

itisjp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested on my end... I hate cyano and would not introduce it on purpose. At the same time if it works for you then sing the praises and let us know how it works out. I am f or anything that works. If you find the magic scenario please pass it on!!!

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested on my end... I hate cyano and would not introduce it on purpose. At the same time if it works for you then sing the praises and let us know how it works out. I am f or anything that works. If you find the magic scenario please pass it on!!!

I’ve been keeping marine aquariums for 17 years and in any other circumstance I’d be right there with you. But in my case i want to bring as much biodiversity as i can ie a huge chunk of LR from a successful SPS tank with bits of cyano.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
db2648904693fa53f08a935e01fa0f96.jpg

Test results-
Po4-.25ppm
No3-20ppm
Last dose was 0800 this morning: 12ml of flourish and 30ml of fl-nitrogen.

Same test will be conducted at 1700 tomorrow to see what my aquarium is utilizing.

Observations-
48 hours ago dino appeared to get worse and get thicker.
24 hours ago cyano is slowly taking over the sand, dino is being seen in less patches throughout approx 30-40% reduction.
Now- cyano is building up on the sand and rocks i am in a holding pattern i don’t want to make any changes to what I’ve been doing besides the dosing so that i can rule out outliers.

48e9f68dad998b48d37549b2a8beb5ec.jpg

Light brown dino is still lingering in patches but looks lighter today.

I will update at the same time tomorrow.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
db2648904693fa53f08a935e01fa0f96.jpg

Test results-
Po4-.25ppm
No3-20ppm
Last dose was 0800 this morning: 12ml of flourish and 30ml of fl-nitrogen.

Same test will be conducted at 1700 tomorrow to see what my aquarium is utilizing.

Observations-
48 hours ago dino appeared to get worse and get thicker.
24 hours ago cyano is slowly taking over the sand, dino is being seen in less patches throughout approx 30-40% reduction.
Now- cyano is building up on the sand and rocks i am in a holding pattern i don’t want to make any changes to what I’ve been doing besides the dosing so that i can rule out outliers.

48e9f68dad998b48d37549b2a8beb5ec.jpg

Light brown dino is still lingering in patches but looks lighter today.

I will update at the same time tomorrow.

Ok so it’s been 17 hours since the last test. The No3 has held steady around 12-15ppm but the Po4 bottomed our to 0 again over night. I am upping the dosage to 20ml to put me around 0.15. I’ll test both parameters again tonight.
KH is steady at 8.8
Ca steady at 440
MG steady since day one at 1440

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battled this on and off for five years. IMO I have an issue when I don't have any green Micro algae growing. I have no green film or the tough to scrape green on the glass. I am now dosing KNO3 and PO4. My SPS love it, My Coraline is super charged, and I have a slight DINO issue Again. My cheato is going nuts also. I have backed my skimmer down. Currently I have the brown film algae and some cyano. Long story short I'd like some of the green. My PO4 bottomed out, causing the Dino to reappear, after the NO3 dosing. My next step is a large school of fish, but the quarantine will be at least 4 weeks.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battled this on and off for five years. IMO I have an issue when I don't have any green Micro algae growing. I have no green film or the tough to scrape green on the glass. I am now dosing KNO3 and PO4. My SPS love it, My Coraline is super charged, and I have a slight DINO issue Again. My cheato is going nuts also. I have backed my skimmer down. Currently I have the brown film algae and some cyano. Long story short I'd like some of the green. My PO4 bottomed out, causing the Dino to reappear, after the NO3 dosing. My next step is a large school of fish, but the quarantine will be at least 4 weeks.

I am getting the brown slime and cyano mix at the moment. I’m very tempted the do red slime remover and vacuum all the sand when i do the 20% WC after just to see where I’m at.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did three consecutive 20 % water changes and vacuumed all the gravel I could reach. I just started to get Dino's back after. In the past with dinos I would shut off the skimmer and stop all tank maintenance until the green got a hold on the glass. My tank was awesome until my maintenance guy unplugged my heater and forgot to plug it back in. My tank got down to 69 degrees. This is when the brown started and then took over. This was about first of January. The brown wont scrub off with a tooth brush. I'd like to turn this around. My tank is chewing through NO3 and PO4 I get them to 3 and .02 and next morning they are .02 NO3 and undetectable PO4. I have just stated PO4 dosing so I haven't nailed the daily consumption yet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the brown slime and cyano mix at the moment. I’m very tempted the do red slime remover and vacuum all the sand when i do the 20% WC after just to see where I’m at.
I like to take a small pump (I use this one) and use it to power wash the rock. I found blowing with a turkey baster or just vacuuming to be ineffective. Once I get it floating I have a small canister filter I drop in the tank along with my filter socks to get all the gunk out.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is very low
bab6db21fe4f243fc4ff1cf9dc9c3993.jpg

So with these numbers it’s hard for me to imagine i should have thought a huge algae outbreak unless of course it’s in balance
Get a Hanna phosphorus test. It’s well worth the money, I thought I had 0.0 ppm of phostate. Turns out my tank runs around .06 ppm - .113 ppm phosphate based on my feeding. Certain foods contain more PO4 than others. I can never read color change that Red Sea test have. Not enough difference for me. I just do small water changes weekly to correct. Been holding steady between .018 - .052 ppm doing a 5 gallon H2O change on my 90 gal.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i made the mistake of dosing Red Sea A and B yesterday and the algae really visibly stood out after that, have you had experience with chemi clean?
I don’t know if it was a coincidence but I got a really bad bryopsis out break after using A&B, took me over a year to get rid of it. Was reluctant to use Reeflux but it’s the best thing in the world. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with nuisance algae, Cyanobacteria or diatoms after use of these products.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this

These contain amino acids... aka bacteria food.

I would cut them out completely for a week and see what happens.
It will come back, chemiclean will reset your tank. Cut back on aminos, 1/4 dose is a good start point.

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Cyno problem early on in my new build. Treated with Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stain Remover and it cleared out the cyno quickly. 3 months down the road, Cyno is back, but only in my refugium. I thought about treating again, but as long as it stays in the refugium I think it is ok to stay.

I do scoop it out of the refugium a couple times a month. I think the Cyno removes nutrients and by removing it from the fuge, I get extra nutrient reduction.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Hanna phosphorus test. It’s well worth the money, I thought I had 0.0 ppm of phostate. Turns out my tank runs around .06 ppm - .113 ppm phosphate based on my feeding. Certain foods contain more PO4 than others. I can never read color change that Red Sea test have. Not enough difference for me. I just do small water changes weekly to correct. Been holding steady between .018 - .052 ppm doing a 5 gallon H2O change on my 90 gal.

I’ve been using the Hanna for a week testing twice a day. I’m just trying to hold it above .10 at this point it’s taking 2-15ml doses in a 24 hour period. The highest it peaked was around .24.

rftrfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experiment it is very interesting, I know for sure that thread algae in freshwater, definitely kill Cyano and different types of algae also produce allelopatics that can stop plants growth. Thi s can be seen immediately after a total water change when suddently all plants re-start to grow for a few days before going to block again.

rftrfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experiment it is very interesting, I know for sure that thread algae in freshwater, definitely kill Cyano and different types of algae also produce allelopatics that can stop plants growth. Thi s can be seen immediately after a total water change when suddently all plants re-start to grow for a few days before going to block again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back