I put cyano and GHA in my tank on purpose...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, do some homework.

When you read reviews just keep something in mind. This stuff was considered aquatic gold at one point and then the guy who sold it died. His family didn't have a feel for the business and they struggled with it for a few years. My understanding is that they brought in some help and that the quality is back up at least close to where it was. So, if you see what seem to be very contradictory reviews, that likely plays a part. This is one of the main reasons I went with the Fiji Mud. To do it over wold be a tossup.

Oh.. .and their website is terrible!!!
What, ya don’t like websites from the 90’s

It’s a bit easier to go to the FB page.

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6806fc728bb79a9bad357bd47da2400a.jpg

Gonna give this a shot

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the nitrogen calculator says i need to dose 200ml to go from 5-10ppm! That’s half the bottle.
Slow and steady wins the race! I wouldn't do more than 20 to 30ml per day.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally , I think it’s some new tank uglies.
Most likely form food and waste build up.

My self I like dr Tim’s one and only bottled bacteria .
Perhaps look at the ph first thing in the morning and right before the lights go off.

It seems you’re feeding a LOT.
Rotting food an poo give off everting a cyano and a lot of Dino’s like . Ammoina and the nitrifying bacterias also exhale c02. Cyano likes that.

I wish keep disturbing the mats , a vac or stir of the sand would not hurt. Massive pro biotic to compete with the ugly stuff. A little extra floss or sock to get the organics out.

I do find it a bit odd you have so little corraline algae.
Exactly this.

Add 3 or 4 fighting conch snails. They will do a great job at keeping your sandbed clean and clear. But dinos will eventually run their course either way... Then you'll be onto the next nuisance. So on and so forth.

Toni Melton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problem too. I tried a bunch of stuff. I read an article about lighting too intense. It was the only change I had made before it started showing up. Cleaned REAL good on a large water change. Lifted my lights, turned down intensity, & more blue been 3 weeks & no sign!!!!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I had similar issues when I swapped from IO to AF reef (not probio), so wondered if that may be a source of some problems for you. Good luck with the turn, around, dinos and all that other nasty are a battle!

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I had similar issues when I swapped from IO to AF reef (not probio), so wondered if that may be a source of some problems for you. Good luck with the turn, around, dinos and all that other nasty are a battle!

Is there something better to run? I use IO because i can get it down the road

Scruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted in one of your pics a large door/window in the background. Someone else picked up on this too. My tank gets some indirect light during the winter months with an increase in dinos also. Tank is 20 yes old,yes the 90's. Fuel for dinos is always there, given the wrong spectrum of light they seem to flourish. Just my view from experience.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having major trouble with bubble algae so I made an in-tank refugium out of plastic canvas and some styrofoam. I filled it with chaetomorpha and let it float around in the top of the tank. It worked. It didn’t take long for the algae to go away. My foxface loved it because he ate any pieces of chaeto that stuck out of the holes in the basket.

CC0D94ED-0F82-494E-ADD1-743AAD53D4EA.jpeg

A3453D01-3762-49FD-8177-48F3397F08B3.jpeg

TRNANCE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all. Got a bit of a dino problem(4 months now) it comes and goes. I haven’t lost any fish or inverts even though my fox face, tang, and angel all eat them from time to time. I’ve done blackouts(3 day) h202, overfeeding, UV, higher flow, refugium tactics(got a bunch of hair algae down there but it doesn’t grow in the display). My nitrates and phosphate in balance is most likely to blame. I cannot for the life of me get phos or No3 readings. I’m pretty heavily stocked imo. It’s 140 gallon(175 total) display with a mag fox face, sailfin, yellow angel, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, a diamond goby, 2 lyretail anthias, i feed 2-3 times a day ROE, mysis, Arcti pods, pellets, sea veggies. I’m introducing nuisance algae to try to combat nuisance algae it’s probably not smart but at this point i don’t think it can hurt. I also order Seachem phos and flourish nitrogen to try and dos to around 10no3 and .08ish po4. Do you all think this is a reasonable goal?
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/4559094/
Title pretty much says it all. Got a bit of a dino problem(4 months now) it comes and goes. I haven’t lost any fish or inverts even though my fox face, tang, and angel all eat them from time to time. I’ve done blackouts(3 day) h202, overfeeding, UV, higher flow, refugium tactics(got a bunch of hair algae down there but it doesn’t grow in the display). My nitrates and phosphate in balance is most likely to blame. I cannot for the life of me get phos or No3 readings. I’m pretty heavily stocked imo. It’s 140 gallon(175 total) display with a mag fox face, sailfin, yellow angel, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, a diamond goby, 2 lyretail anthias, i feed 2-3 times a day ROE, mysis, Arcti pods, pellets, sea veggies. I’m introducing nuisance algae to try to combat nuisance algae it’s probably not smart but at this point i don’t think it can hurt. I also order Seachem phos and flourish nitrogen to try and dos to around 10no3 and .08ish po4. Do you all think this is a reasonable goal?

Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?
You should take a look at this post, we are all in the same boat and there is a lot of great information that’s in line with what you are trying to do. Good luck with your Dino

OP
OP
Artillerydrill

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back