OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this. 93 gallon, 30x30x24” for $275 with stand.
A17E6484-5F30-40F5-A208-6590C322F2FE.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this. 93 gallon, 30x30x24” for $275 with stand.
A17E6484-5F30-40F5-A208-6590C322F2FE.jpeg

Using my ever creative imagination I foresee you outgrowing that tank rather quickly, you're going to need something bigger than that :p:p

Things are looking great man, always nice when all the hard work pays off:) I've been dealing with some bubble algae myself for months now and it's FINALLY starting to disappear, not sure why, I've got an emerald crab in there somewhere but I've never seen him touch the stuff. I did cut wayyyy back on feedings so maybe I starved the little bugger into considering other options :p

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still have the icecap 1k? i have one en route thursday and it'll be going on my 50 gallon cube. what kind of settings have you found work well?

also worth mentioning, i have 2 500 gph non wavemaker powerheads on the back sides shooting flow forward, so i'm hoping this will give me some nice crossflow. i have a green digi in the top middle of my rockwork that seems to get easily covered by detritus and what not, guessing that's probably not good long term lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Still waiting to hear back from the owner. A full day of silence is not reassuring though.
Aw :(

Oh and good to know you can run the gyres while in vinegar! I was going to clean my new sump tomorrow with vinegar, now I think I may just hook up my gyres to the sides of it and let them all have a good vinegar bath. I haven’t cleaned mine yet :oops:. 8 months ... so much coraline lol.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and good to know you can run the gyres while in vinegar! I was going to clean my new sump tomorrow with vinegar, now I think I may just hook up my gyres to the sides of it and let them all have a good vinegar bath. I haven’t cleaned mine yet :oops:. 8 months ... so much coraline lol.
Yes. I did pumps one at a time while the others ran in the tank. Each pump ran full power while in the vinegar bath. Gyre for almost two hours then each return pump for about 45 minutes. They were all opened and toothbrushed after soaking. Came out spotless, like new.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I did pumps one at a time while the others ran in the tank. Each pump ran full power while in the vinegar bath. Gyre for almost two hours then each return pump for about 45 minutes. They were all opened and toothbrushed after soaking. Came out spotless, like new.
That’s awesome. I have this phobia of unhooking my return and its union above it... I’ll overcome it one of these days... lol

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still have the icecap 1k? i have one en route thursday and it'll be going on my 50 gallon cube. what kind of settings have you found work well?

also worth mentioning, i have 2 500 gph non wavemaker powerheads on the back sides shooting flow forward, so i'm hoping this will give me some nice crossflow. i have a green digi in the top middle of my rockwork that seems to get easily covered by detritus and what not, guessing that's probably not good long term lol
Still loving the 1K gyre. I tried a few different settings and in the end the easiest thing to do was set it to random and let it go. Was 70% max, but now 60% after a deep cleaning. It sits vertical in the back left corner. it maxes around 600 GPH and my dual returns are each about 300 GPH. I feel like the LPS have as much flow as they can handle. the anemone about right and the SPS the minimum. The randomness helps a lot and the gyre and one return are positioned to maximize flow to the SPS.

EDIT: the water volume in the display, for reference, is about 28 gallons. Total system water volume is 35 gallons in what is listed as a 45 gallon AIO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. I have this phobia of unhooking my return and its union above it... I’ll overcome it one of these days... lol
Go for it. Cannot be any more nerve racking than the original set up was.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Cannot be any more nerve racking than the original set up was.
Do seals on unions become less reliable and more leak prone if you unhook them and stuff? That’s my fear I guess, since were doing therapy here. Lol

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do seals on unions become less reliable and more leak prone if you unhook them and stuff? That’s my fear I guess, since were doing therapy here. Lol
Never ran a sump. I would not think so. Would seem to defeat its purpose. If there is an O-ring, it would seem intuitive to change it out on a cleaning, but that is a total guess.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back