I received a box of rocks today.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you use any carbon source, but if you do, you might need to add some nitrate soon(if carbon source is your way of lowering N & P).
Otherwise I can almost promise you'll have some nice Cyanobacteria soon :)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you use any carbon source, but if you do, you might need to add some nitrate soon(if carbon source is your way of lowering N & P).
Otherwise I can almost promise you'll have some nice Cyanobacteria soon :)

Right. I have Potassium Nitrate from my freshwater days if Nitrate hits 0 ppm. I do not carbon dose. Nitrates are too low on their own. My filtration is Pacific live rock, skimmer, activated carbon bag and a small refugium with Chaetomorpha.

The algae I removed yesterday did not return. I am not saying it is gone, it just did not return with a vengeance. Upon reflection it did seem to accumulate in a low flow area.

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I have Potassium Nitrate from my freshwater days if Nitrates hit 0 ppm. I do not carbon dose. Nitrates are too low on their own. My filtration is Pacific live rock, skimmer, activated carbon bag and a small refugium with Chaetomorpha.

The algae I removed yesterday did not return. I am not saying it is gone, it just did not return with a vengeance. Upon reflection it did seem to accumulate in a low flow area.

Okey, great! Then you are ready :)
Sound like the same as we use. We buy our KNO3 from a small freshwater shop.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, great! Then you are ready :)
Sound like the same as we use. We buy our KNO3 from a small freshwater shop.

Thanks @Sallstrom ! I was just looking at your pipe diagram. I cannot imagine such a project as planning a Public Aquarium, but I can imagine it would be highly enjoyable. Hope you get your temporary tanks soon.

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Sallstrom ! I was just looking at you pipe diagram. I cannot imagine such a project as planning a Public Aquarium, but I can imagine it would be highly enjoyable. Hope you get your temporary tanks soon.
It's a lot to plan, I'm happy we're a quite a small public aquarium.. :)
It's very inspiring but also very much give and take. All our ideas are not possible due to space, construction or cost.
But we're aiming for good life support systems. If we manage to keep good water quality, we hopefully can get the live habitats we want sooner or later in the tanks :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we manage to keep good water quality, we hopefully can get the live habitats we want sooner or later in the tanks :)
At least you should be able to learn some lessons from Atlanta in your goal to keep Whale sharks! :p
upload_2018-9-6_12-2-15.png

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you should be able to learn some lessons from Atlanta in your goal to keep Whale sharks! :p
upload_2018-9-6_12-2-15.png
Hehe. Our new reef tank will be just big enough for reef sharks. Swedish rules for public aquariums say "pelagic" sharks over 100 cm must have at least 100m2 surface area. Our tank will be exactly 100m2 :D
But first we want to establish a live reef, the reef sharks will be a bonus that might come a couple of years later!
Whale sharks, that's so far out of our league :p

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced shrimp deaths while battling dinoflagellates? @GoVols perhaps?

I used FM Ultra Algae X, back then (called Dino-X, now).

It will smoke...;Dead all inverts except bta's.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason mack

Do you have any thoughts on treating Dino's / and having loss of inverts?
Is there any "link" that you've dealt with on that matter?

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has dinos?

I was trying to figure out what I was getting. A tiny amount of algae or something popped up. I had a couple of Cleaner Shrimp pass around the same time and thought it might be related. Tomorrow or this weekend I will try to get some better pictures of the small growths I had (assuming they return), but for now I assume the shrimp deaths were coincidence. It just seemed strange to me that they both died a couple of days apart so I was grasping at straws.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the video of the growths from my other thread on this. I removed them and if they come back I will try for better images.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to figure out what I was getting. A tiny amount of algae or something popped up. I had a couple of Cleaner Shrimp pass around the same time and thought it might be related. Tomorrow or this weekend I will try to get some better pictures of the small growths I had (assuming they return), but for now I assume the shrimp deaths were coincidence. It just seemed strange to me that they both died a couple of days apart so I was grasping at straws.
I see. Was there anything visible on the shrimp after they died? Were they full grown?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Was there anything visible on the shrimp after they died? Were they full grown?

One was 1 1/4” and vanished. Thought he might be hiding to molt. The other was 2” and was still around. Then 2-3 days later I found the larger one’s carcass (top half of the body). I inspected him and he looked as if attacked, but the CUC could have just been feasting on him. I never found the small one. We have a Peppermint Shrimp who seemed to lay low for two days (did not come out for feedings) but is back to normal now.

Only fish are a small Pink Streaked Wrasse and a 2” Midas Blenny. The changes around the Shrimp deaths were:

1. A Bubble Tip Anemone was added (the carcass was found near it, but the anemone is tiny, about 1 3/4”)
  2. I did a big cleaning of the back return and refugium AIO chambers.
  3. This apparent small algae outbreak.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One was 1 1/4” and vanished. Thought he might be hiding to molt. The other was 2” and was still around. Then 2-3 days later I found the larger one’s carcass (top half of the body). I inspected him and he looked as if attacked, but the CUC could have just been feasting on him. I never found the small one. We have a Peppermint Shrimp who seemed to lay low for two days (did not come out for feedings) but is back to normal now.

Only fish are a small Pink Streaked Wrasse and a 2” Midas Blenny. The changes around the Shrimp deaths were:

1. A Bubble Tip Anemone was added (the carcass was found near it, but the anemone is tiny, about 1 3/4”)
  2. I did a big cleaning of the back return and refugium AIO chambers.
  3. This apparent small algae outbreak.
I see. yeah, it might just be a fluke. Could be that it accidentally found its way into the nems mouth? Hard to say. I highly doubt it was that small growth of algae. It doesn't look like anything that would harm the tank. If you are concerned about the remaining shrimp and maybe their ability to molt, iodine helps the molting process.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. yeah, it might just be a fluke. Could be that it accidentally found its way into the nems mouth? Hard to say. I highly doubt it was that small growth of algae. It doesn't look like anything that would harm the tank. If you are concerned about the remaining shrimp and maybe their ability to molt, iodine helps the molting process.

Recent ATI test did indicate Iodine was okay, but I had elevated Zinc levels. I know Shrimp are very sensitive to metals as well.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent ATI test did indicate Iodine was okay, but I had elevated Zinc levels. I know Shrimp are very sensitive to metals as well.
Well, hand lotions are typically the culprit for elevated zinc. Doing some water changes and spot feeding the remaining or future shrimp should help with success.

Sort of on the same subject that I thought i would share, the life expectancy of cleaner shrimp is 3-5 years and 5 years is rare.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hand lotions are typically the culprit for elevated zinc. Doing some water changes and spot feeding the remaining or future shrimp should help with success.

Sort of on the same subject that I thought i would share, the life expectancy of cleaner shrimp is 3-5 years and 5 years is rare.

I had a pair for five years in the nineties until I broke the tank down and gave them away. Loved those two. Male - female (by chance) and they were awesome.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back