I received a box of rocks today.

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by NY_Caveman, Nov 9, 2017.

1. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman likes hermit crabs and bristleworms R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor WCRC Member

Maybe it was four years. They moved with me through three apartments too. Funny how back then I did not worry much about anything and the tank thrived. Even kept an H. magnifica for years. Now, I am probably overthinking every little thing and over-researching every iota. This forum is awesome, but I am probably OCD and susceptible to information overload.

2. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I did and still do that. I'll say, after battling dinos, i've learned some valuable lessons. The one that stands out most is, less is more. The less I do to the tank, the more it thrives.

jk_s124, Katrina71, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  3. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Hey Freddie , I never lost any when treating Dino’s , but then I only dosed peroxide ,I managed to stay away from products like Dino X , but there are so many different types of Dino’s that I think I just got lucky ..

jk_s124, Katrina71, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  4. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman likes hermit crabs and bristleworms R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor WCRC Member

I went to the LFS today just to replenish the CUC with some snails and hermits. I think you can guess how the story ends.

Your hint is I also wanted to look at some different varieties of A. ocellaris.

bubbaque, najer, Katrina71 and 5 others like this.
  5. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

You mean you didn't come home with $200 worth of coral!? :D

Which variety did you look at?

najer, Katrina71, GoVols and 5 others like this.
  6. NY_Caveman

I recently decided a Clarkii complex clown would get too big, too aggressive or both for this tank. I guess I always knew, but I now faced it.

I wanted to look around at some fancy ocellaris in person that I had seen online. To be honest, I did not find the so called designer clowns as desirable as I had thought. They were beautiful of course, but seeing them in person they seemed they would feel out of place in our reef tank.

Our anemone is small, about 1 3/4.” I did not expect to add a clownfish for a while.

7. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Otherwise know as “hands in tank syndrome “...I agree

GoVols, SPR1968, Fudsey and 2 others like this.
  8. NY_Caveman

I am trying to cure myself of that ailment. Picked up a long grabber recently and I am loving it. Thanks for your comment about the dinos too!

bubbaque, najer, GoVols and 3 others like this.
  9. SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I really love my Black Onyx clowns. They aren't aggressive, except for the first month as they fought for dominance, but they worked it out. The only problem is that they won't go near my anemone. They seem to prefer hanging out by my gyre power cable. :rolleyes:

Clowns2.jpg

Rozdab, Hulley, najer and 5 others like this.
  10. NY_Caveman

Beautiful!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    GoVols, SPR1968 and SuncrestReef like this.
  11. NY_Caveman

So it turns out, I came across a tank in the LFS that had three tiny percula in it. As I watched I saw there was a fourth even smaller one and they were all taking turns badgering him. I looked closer and the tiny one was actually, I believed, an A. ocellaris. He was a lighter orange and had less black between the stripes.

The poor fellow was really being harassed, so I immediately starting growing attached to him. He was probably 5/8” and I figured that would probably fit our anemone. I asked about him and the LFS person agreed he was A. ocellaris. Since he was mislabeled, I was offered a 1/3 discount and that sealed the deal.

So after considering several options, the clown that appealed to me most was the classic. Here is what is likely our last fish
    32F79AF6-4455-45C7-BB38-EE1F1D14978F.jpeg

jk_s124, bubbaque, najer and 10 others like this.
  12. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Such a classic fish. I prefer the originals over the designers myself.

jk_s124, bubbaque, najer and 4 others like this.
  13. Jason mack

I must say I had two ocellaris and they lived up to their killer clown rep ... always biting me .. unfortunately I lost them too ich ... I now have two snowflakes and I love them very peaceful have never bitten me or even tried too... they just hang around my powerhead all day ...I’ll try and find a pic ..

jk_s124, najer, GoVols and 3 others like this.
  14. NY_Caveman

This one has been very active since being added. He immediately went to the right side of the tank and just started dancing along the width of the glass. I was surprised that our Midas Blenny and Pink Streaked Wrasse were absolutely fascinated by the Clownfish. Over the past couple of hours, they both left their safety zones and just started hovering around the clown, a couple of inches back. The welcoming committee
    8D292A7A-6213-456B-A2CB-A99F867B8F61.jpeg

Then they started dancing in the glass along with him. They were mimicking him with behavior they had never shown before
    A5F73D35-7BF2-4C98-90EB-C725A8B427BD.jpeg

The Midas got bored, but the Wrasse and the Clown were practically schooling for about 15 minutes showing off to their reflections.

jk_s124, bubbaque, najer and 6 others like this.
  15. reeferfoxx

My two clowns don't really get along even though one is a dominant female and the other remains male. They don't sleep together nor swim together but the male remains submissive within confrontation. My female recently and surprisingly hosted my red goniopora after owning both for nearly 5 years now. Very interesting fish.

najer, Katrina71, GoVols and 3 others like this.
  16. NY_Caveman

I am planning on sticking to the single hoping that will lead to less aggression.

najer, GoVols, SPR1968 and 2 others like this.
  17. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

I love my Frostbites but man are they nasty... to me.... They are fine with the other fish but if I stick my hand on their side of the tank, they both attack me. Trying to kalk some aip and I have to hold a net in my other hand or they will bite me. Evil clowns..... But man are they pretty.

18. reeferfoxx

Mine used to bite. I started hand feeding and that fixed that issue.

najer, GoVols, SPR1968 and 3 others like this.
  19. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

Good idea.... I'll have to get some chainmail gloves to start :)

jk_s124, bubbaque, reeferfoxx and 5 others like this.
  20. NY_Caveman

LOL!

jk_s124, bubbaque, reeferfoxx and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted