I received a box of rocks today.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally B most likely has a geothermal hook up with a bubble over his house. He's probably got bromyliads blooming in the front yard.

;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally B most likely has a geothermal hook up with a bubble over his house. He's probably got bromyliads blooming in the front yard.

Nope...No GeoThermo Bubble over my house. I wish I did. My Salt Cracked hands lately don't like winter.
I love skiing.....but my hands don't anymore.

2018-11-22_Weater.jpg

On the Topic of Salt Cracked hands. Has anyone had problems with their hands when mixing salt......I think the Dust from the Salt Mix powder coats my hands, and does damage.
I now use gloves.

But the weird thing....Last summer we went down south.
My first dip in the Ocean burned my dry hands. I thought I wouldn't be able to swim.
Couple of day in Ocean...Actually healed my hands like never before.
There is Something Nasty in REEF Salts, or Something Good in the Ocean.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool! I love just sitting and watching mine in the nem. He never leaves except to molt.

I’m wanting a couple more rose bubbles so I can get some anemone shrimp. They are pretty cool to.

And a couple mini maxi nems with sexy shrimp. I had those in my last tank and that was a special treat to watch.

My Mr Crabs
69847a8a2832a7043542323185b574c6.jpg
Ahh...Now I recognize the Porcelain Crab.

Don't they have the RADAR Cup like Antenna that they filter feed with (Back and forth, as they bring in the Catch and scoop into mouth)
I had those in past. Wonderful to watch. They never lasted very long. Too bad. Amazing to watch.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope...No GeoThermo Bubble over my house. I wish I did. My Salt Cracked hands lately don't like winter.
I love skiing.....but my hands don't anymore.

2018-11-22_Weater.jpg

On the Topic of Salt Cracked hands. Has anyone had problems with their hands when mixing salt......I think the Dust from the Salt Mix powder coats my hands, and does damage.
I now use gloves.

But the weird thing....Last summer we went down south.
My first dip in the Ocean burned my dry hands. I thought I wouldn't be able to swim.
Couple of day in Ocean...Actually healed my hands like never before.
There is Something Nasty in REEF Salts, or Something Good in the Ocean.

I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities. In the 90s, when I had multiple tanks and worked at a pet/fish store, my hands developed a bad rash. It then spread up my arms, to my body and face. I eventually had to go to a dermatologist and get a strong prescription ointment. Definitely was from the salt. In my return to reefing the first time I mixed salt, and got those dry sticky hands, all those memories came back to me.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't tell me they don't last. Crabby Patty in Andrew's tank is one of our favorites.

My crab back in those days was with me for more than three years in the H. magnifica through two moves. When I gave my livestock away for my move out west, he was still going strong.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crab back in those days was with me for more than three years in the H. magnifica through two moves. When I gave my livestock away for my move out west, he was still going strong.
Maybe Porcelain crabs do last. With Proper Feeding and care.
Mine didn't. Wish they did.

@Rakie said my Tile Starfish wouldn't last more then a few months. I didn't believe him, since mine lasted about 10 months.
It withered away a month ago. But I think a new Emerald Crab may have killed it.
At least I got a nice photo.
44598486632_0fbc00c6eb_n.jpg

I may get another Tile Starfish (they come in orange, pink, etc)...........Try again. Since Emerald is gone.
They do add color and spice up a tank the way they always appears somewhere else.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities. In the 90s, when I had multiple tanks and worked at a pet/fish store, my hands developed a bad rash. It then spread up my arms, to my body and face. I eventually had to go to a dermatologist and get a strong prescription ointment. Definitely was from the salt. In my return to reefing the first time I mixed salt, and got those dry sticky hands, all those memories came back to me.
Thanks for that confirmation.
I actually started using Cortisone cream to help heal the DRYskin on fingers. (contained to fingers only)
It would get better....I gained confidence to use salt near bare hands and then it started all over.
It never got better (for months. Over a year), and one day when I saw a bit of rash spreading from fingers to hand, that scared me.
It started the Fucilin Cream (which is Cortisone & Polysporin).
And after a week of all fingers and dry skin areas cover in bandages (24 hours a day)....it went away. (that was actually last week)
The bandages helped since I notice washing hands with soap kind of reverses the healing (Water/Soap Dries skin, and Washing remove the healing cream).

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't tell me they don't last. Crabby Patty in Andrew's tank is one of our favorites.

I have had three I see on a regular basis, including one that is about 1.25" across. I've had them since adding the live rock over a year and a half ago.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Porcelain crabs do last. With Proper Feeding and care.
Mine didn't. Wish they did.

@Rakie said my Tile Starfish wouldn't last more then a few months. I didn't believe him, since mine lasted about 10 months.
It withered away a month ago. But I think a new Emerald Crab may have killed it.
At least I got a nice photo.
44598486632_0fbc00c6eb_n.jpg

I may get another Tile Starfish (they come in orange, pink, etc)...........Try again. Since Emerald is gone.
They do add color and spice up a tank the way they always appears somewhere else.
The fromia and linkia stars get outcompeted by asterina starfish.
You would need to eradicate the asterinas (as best you can. Year 4 and I'm still removing a few a week.)

People who have success (2+ years) have at least a 75 gallon tank with lots of live rock.

The othe issue is the fromia and linkia can take up to a year to finally starve to death. There is often enough food in the tank for them to slowly wither away.

Maastic may work as a legit food source. Someone else suggested it to me. They said it works great and they can watch their blue linkia (2+ years) curl around it and eat it. Just got some. Still need to try it.

Our current one is at 10 months. Hoping we have finally cracked the code. [emoji846]

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey is your avatar real? you guys a couple?
OMG, I need to change it!

On Sarah's build thread we were joking about banners.

It was meant as a joke and I thought several other people from that conversation would join in.

Thank you for the reminder it's time to change it!
[emoji54]

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, I need to change it!

On Sarah's build thread we were joking about banners.

It was meant as a joke and I thought several other people from that conversation would join in.

Thank you for the reminder it's time to change it!
[emoji54]
lol. I thought real love was in the air.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. I thought real love was in the air.
Lol, she is an absolute 'Catch' for sure!

But I'm;

55 years old

Gay

Already happily married to my partner of 17 years. [emoji846]

I just thing she is wonderful. [emoji846]

And needs more sleep! [emoji849]

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 65.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back