I received a box of rocks today.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, she is an absolute 'Catch' for sure!

But I'm;

55 years old

Gay

Already happily married to my partner of 17 years. [emoji846]

I just thing she is wonderful. [emoji846]

And needs more sleep! [emoji849]
lol! That was funny.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh... it's frustrating for me to see how much time and planning and patience you have taken to avoid the downfalls of rushing only to see so many problems arise for you...

I can only imagine your inner battles with it all too friend.

Hang tough sir. Just keep swimming

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, the pretty stars have a tough chance of surviving long term in many systems. What Norfolk said though, I'll have to check that out.

Being a Florida man since 2009, reef salt mix doesn't bother me. Maybe all the salt everywhere gave me immunity [emoji6]

Es possible, UV or ozone could help your fish problem. I have a very natural environment. Good food, loads of plants in my fw planted and I had 6 original fish that lived, and new ones died after 2-3 days. The original fish even had babies that did very well.

I added a UV, and no more issues. It send to give the fish the chance to get settled and get strong again to resist whatever is in the tank.

With that said, I will also be feeding many live foods and running ozone on my breeder (getting wet in a city near you in January) so we can monitor the results there.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, my build thread was pretty active without me this weekend. I missed it all, LOL!

@norfolkgarden
I am 48 and still a child. My wife is still surprised after 20 years that I do not get it. I loved your banner BTW. Perhaps you and your partner could simply adopt @Sarah24! She needs supervision as she is constantly running on fumes.

@Victoria M
Ruby has vanished and that makes us sad. I am still at a loss to explain. Three fish and three shrimp gone, but snails, crabs, the remaining fish seem fine and almost all of our corals are thriving. Thank you also for the congratulations. I wonder if @Fudsey was as surprised as I was?

@RichtheReefer21
It can be depressing. I think the loss of Ruby hit me hardest of all. She was fat and eating and had no ill signs. After the two ocellaris died I watched her closely. One day I said “she seems fine and will make it” and then she disappeared. All I can say is as time has passed, I loved my tank again.

I am getting back to basics. I tested everything this weekend and all was inline.

11/24/18 (night)
NH3/4 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 7 ppm
PO4 = 0.049 ppm (16 ppb)
Ca = 443 ppm
dKH = 8.7
pH = 8.1

I am also about to send out a second ICP-OES test to see if there is anything unusual. For example, my test in July showed elevated Zinc levels. For now I am stopping the addition of NO3 and PO4 and continuing to monitor closely. I also stopped the addition of aminos. The Cyanobacteria was just coming on too strong. Crazy that one drop a day was so powerful.

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Omg I’m sooooo (ahhh bloody gummy bears I can’t think of it), but @norfolkgarden lol I loved the banner and it’s true people need one of those to survive me lol. But greatest compliment ever so thank you sooo much .

@Fin lol do we want to have @norfolkgarden as a great friend for many many years or do you want me to stress them out, and have them pull their hair out and give them cardiac arrest:). I drive my parents bananas and I’m still theirs technically speaking lol. Just how I manage to keep runnning on fumes surprsies me.

Here is something for your dry cracked hurting hands friends. Maybe try wearing surgical gloves, and then wrap a rubber band them at the wrist to seal them. Salt water and water in general dries your hands out. The salt water is crosive aka acidic you goof balls. Sooooo it strips the bodies natural oils and moisture out. So buy some gloves silly. Plus salt water will strip the prescribed lotion off anyway, and it will release into your reefs.

In short you want to prep your hands like your about to go into surgery and or catch a baby coming out :). Clean your hands, apply nice powder gloves over hands. Attach two rubber bands per wrist and have at it. Probably best to get the shoulder ones, but ahhh I’m too small it’s like me crawling into a body bag. It’s not fun, they made us do it our first year of school to give us an idea how it feels when we make a mistake. Kinda creepy :)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Omg I’m sooooo (ahhh bloody gummy bears I can’t think of it), but @norfolkgarden lol I loved the banner and it’s true people need one of those to survive me lol. But greatest compliment ever so thank you sooo much .

@Fin lol do we want to have @norfolkgarden as a great friend for many many years or do you want me to stress them out, and have them pull their hair out and give them cardiac arrest:). I drive my parents bananas and I’m still theirs technically speaking lol. Just how I manage to keep runnning on fumes surprsies me.

Here is something for your dry cracked hurting hands friends. Maybe try wearing surgical gloves, and then wrap a rubber band them at the wrist to seal them. Salt water and water in general dries your hands out. The salt water is crosive aka acidic you goof balls. Sooooo it strips the bodies natural oils and moisture out. So buy some gloves silly. Plus salt water will strip the prescribed lotion off anyway, and it will release into your reefs.

In short you want to prep your hands like your about to go into surgery and or catch a baby coming out :). Clean your hands, apply nice powder gloves over hands. Attach two rubber bands per wrist and have at it. Probably best to get the shoulder ones, but ahhh I’m too small it’s like me crawling into a body bag. It’s not fun, they made us do it our first year of school to give us an idea how it feels when we make a mistake. Kinda creepy :)

I use calf birthing gloves from
FarmandFleet.com that go to my shoulder. 100 for $13.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Glad you enjoyed the banner. [emoji846]

Lol, we do worry about you sometimes. [emoji53]

You are wonderful that you do for everyone else!
but don't let your company take advantage of you. [emoji846]

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. What this resembles I am ill prepared for
071A9763-21FC-447A-BE1A-BD5AD3936176.jpeg

3ADBBAE1-A4FC-4942-B202-36171754EE35.jpeg

After the whites came on he did this
362C5305-5F42-4710-BF8D-91C69FF422DA.jpeg

Maybe he was just waking up or caught something. Funny, though, I was just thinking yesterday what I should have handy in case this anemone splits. Hopefully he was just stretching.

Oh, and look who came out in the daylight during feeding time. I must be feeding way too little.
F81BC0E3-7D01-4271-A2A4-E36D4F8B3F46.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. What this resembles I am ill prepared for
071A9763-21FC-447A-BE1A-BD5AD3936176.jpeg

3ADBBAE1-A4FC-4942-B202-36171754EE35.jpeg

After the whites came on he did this
362C5305-5F42-4710-BF8D-91C69FF422DA.jpeg

Maybe he was just waking up or caught something. Funny, though, I was just thinking yesterday what I should have handy in case this anemone splits. Hopefully he was just stretching.

Oh, and look who came out in the daylight during feeding time. I must be feeding way too little.
F81BC0E3-7D01-4271-A2A4-E36D4F8B3F46.jpeg
Just live with the sisters for a bit. I love seeing the weird things BTA do.
and I know those creepy crawlies are in there, but I don't like seeing them.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just live with the sisters for a bit. I love seeing the weird things BTA do.
and I know those creepy crawlies are in there, but I don't like seeing them.

They clean my rocks nice and spiffy.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of spiffy clean rocks, I picked up a TON of clean up crew from a fellow reefer. Mostly micro stars, but also some pods and worms.
D3AEA91F-62EE-4EE2-AEE7-2C4DDB7BDD48.jpeg

The stars are barely dime sized. Way more than I needed so I am sharing some with a friend. Thank you @Gyerfat ! Saw his whole system of several tanks. Check out his mega sump build here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/large-new-build.374505/

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back