I shut down a tank because of this “algae” ... what is it?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve asked for an ID on this stuff a few times and no one seems to know.

It’s Definitely photosynthetic and doesn’t look like Cyano or Dinos. Any ideas?

It started off slow and could’ve been mistaken for diatoms but then exploded and took over everything.

1C39891D-EDD7-45E2-B7E7-1AF775F9172C.jpeg 7F10935C-4163-4BAB-BAA2-1A7FB4F263B8.jpeg 9E5FDAA0-089D-48B3-8C35-E660E77AF9D5.jpeg

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried any algae idification websites? I'm not an expert, but it's always hard to tell with pictures.

Maybe describing them as detailed as possible would help also.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly lyngbyga. Which is not an algae, but a cyano bacteria. Did have have 0 nutrients by chance? Is it’s mushy/slimy and grown in clumps?

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly lyngbyga. Which is not an algae, but a cyano bacteria. Did have have 0 nutrients by chance? Is it’s mushy/slimy and grown in clumps?

Yeah that’s a perfect description. It was mushy and slimy and very clumpy once it started to mature

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank was also very low nutrient because there was no fish and I spot fed reef roids + ran chemipure blue with weekly 30% water changes

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your describing is pretty much a type of lyngbya. Very very difficult to get rid of, many have tore down and restarted. I recently alkost did the same...

what worked for me is since it’s a bacteria. I begrudgingly did a chemiclean treatment, which did knock it back considerably, than did lights out for like 2 days as it feeds off of light, then I got Dino’s which outcompeted the lyngbya, then raised nutrients for about a month and the Dino’s went away.

long process but did get my tank back in order without a complete tear down. I also did remove quite a bit of my sand bed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your describing is pretty much a type of lyngbya. Very very difficult to get rid of, many have tore down and restarted. I recently alkost did the same...

what worked for me is since it’s a bacteria. I begrudgingly did a chemiclean treatment, which did knock it back consider my, than did lights out for like 2 days as it feeds off of light, then I got Dino’s which outcompeted the lyngbya, then raised nutrients for about a month and the Dino’s went away.

long process but did get my tank back in order without a complete tear down. I also did remove quite a bit of my sand bed.

Yeah that must be what it was because I could not beat it. Ultimately it was easier to just restart the 5 gallon.

I am worried about it coming back though since I just moved my corals straight over to the new tank.

Hopefully my new dirtier system (with a blue damsel) can out-compete any of the lyngbya that may have hitched a ride over.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
barring a microscope examination, I still lean toward this...
20190531_171520.jpg

Light yellow to golden to brown blobby gelatinous stuff that holds shape mostly even out of water.

Going to say this is chrysophytes.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easy to fix this tank if it's fifty gallons or less

That's an easy invader to just kill out of the tank and be done.

Volume?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you run our access vs ID and parameter method, you get same after pics, pretty easy choice imo

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 127 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back