I swore I wasn't going to do it...

  • Thread starter Thread starter digitlhaze
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

digitlhaze

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Messages
32
Reaction score
73
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to set up my little 15g cube and be happy. Now just a bit under 4 months in the empty 40 gallon breeders in my basement are calling my name...

That being said, what are some of your experiences swapping tanks? I don't have a ton of livestock, 3 small fish, a handful of zoa's, a duncan, and various cuc.

Should I expect some die-off? Give the new tank a full month+ of cycling time, or just set up with live rock and ship it? And I suppose I should expect another ugly phase?

Any advice or experiences you've had would be much appreciated!
 
You can put everything existing into the new tank. I would start with fresh live sand. You may have a very fast mini cycle and a fast ugly phase but that’s normal. Stock it and send it.
 
I would assume you’ll add more rock/sand to the new 40 in which case you’ll get another mini cycle/uglies. Should be milder than initial
 
I went from a 32g to a 105g at the beginning of the year. New live rock and sand ( along with existing live rock) with no die off or ugly phase. I attribute to everything alive.
 
I feel like this is common for reefers to do. I do agree that I would get new sand, but everything else is fine!
 
I've also done a few upgrade - set up your 40, then move the rocks and sand over. IMO 4 months old sand won't cause any any issue, especially since I assume you'll be adding a lot more sand. Then move the corals over, then the inverts and finally the fish. Nothing should die or be overly stressed.

You can even cycle the new rocks in advance and that will make the switch over easier and avoid any mini-cycles.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new