I think I made a mistake...need some level headed advice.

OP
OP
nickyeager

nickyeager

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your advice I appreciate it wholeheartedly. After spending 5 days of reading and researching and trying to come up with a plan I have made the difficult decision to bring the Flame Scallop back to the LFS. The feedback provided in this thread was really eyeopening and helped me make an informed decision. I was letting emotion dictate how I stocked the tank and that was a mistake.

I am not confident my tank is mature enough to sustain the Flame Scallop over a long period of time without constantly adding more nutrients to my system which may jeopardize the other creatures in the tank. I also do not wish to invest the time and/or money to adapt my system to support the culture or ongoing purchase of it's required food . I have worked very hard to maintain water parameters in this tank since its inception and I do not want to rush change the system to attempt to provide the environment the Scallop needs.

I may try it again a year from now when I have a system teaming with live pods and plankton but for now I must take what I feel is the mature course of action. Perhaps in the future what I should consider anyways is a large clam such as a Maxima that receives a significant portion of its nutrition through photosynthesis.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your advice I appreciate it wholeheartedly. After spending 5 days of reading and researching and trying to come up with a plan I have made the difficult decision to bring the Flame Scallop back to the LFS. The feedback provided in this thread was really eyeopening and helped me make an informed decision. I was letting emotion dictate how I stocked the tank and that was a mistake.

I am not confident my tank is mature enough to sustain the Flame Scallop over a long period of time without constantly adding more nutrients to my system which may jeopardize the other creatures in the tank. I also do not wish to invest the time and/or money to adapt my system to support the culture or ongoing purchase of it's required food . I have worked very hard to maintain water parameters in this tank since its inception and I do not want to rush change the system to attempt to provide the environment the Scallop needs.

I may try it again a year from now when I have a system teaming with live pods and plankton but for now I must take what I feel is the mature course of action. Perhaps in the future what I should consider anyways is a large clam such as a Maxima that receives a significant portion of its nutrition through photosynthesis.

That's great, wish I made more informed decisions back when I started. You are right in the setup that's needed, the only reason I feel comfortable with mine is because I set my tank up for filter feeders... And I'm still learning!

If you try again, we will still be here and even wiser

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, wish I made more informed decisions back when I started. You are right in the setup that's needed, the only reason I feel comfortable with mine is because I set my tank up for filter feeders... And I'm still learning!

If you try again, we will still be here and even wiser

Although I can be proud that you've made the decision based on the best interest of the scallop in your system, at the LFS it will almost certainly starve. If you should ever try again you're welcome to PM me or post again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back