I think it's all over

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we had some pretty bad storms today. Power has been out since 4pm, it's now after midnight.

Electric supplier has estimated power return time at 11pm on 5/17. That's two more days!!!

I don't have a battery back up on my tank. I'm stirring water by hand every 2 hrs. But it's all over, I have to work tomorrow, and when I get back they'll all be gone

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we had some pretty bad storms today. Power has been out since 4pm, it's now after midnight.

Electric supplier has estimated power return time at 11pm on 5/17. That's two more days!!!

I don't have a battery back up on my tank. I'm stirring water by hand every 2 hrs. But it's all over, I have to work tomorrow, and when I get back they'll all be gone
Maybe you can go buy a generator

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this :( No battery operated air pumps either I'm assuming?

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this :( No battery operated air pumps either I'm assuming?
Not at the moment

I could buy a generator in the morning, but I doubt it would run long enough for me to go to work and back.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the moment

I could buy a generator in the morning, but I doubt it would run long enough for me to go to work and back.

Do you have a family member or friend that could stop by halfway thru the day to top off the gas on the generator?

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone you know have a car inverter or can you grab one from Wal-Mart or another place? Not much and it sucks burning gas but it's a short term fix till you can get something better

I could get one in the morning, but it's gonna be two more days of no power.

I can handle no sleep and stirring water when I'm home, I have a one year old so no sleep is the norm.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everything will be ok.

I have the generator running 1 return pump and heater on the big tank.

And a car battery with inverter running a power head and heater on the small tank

Good night, well an hour nap before I have to get up again

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it all works out too. I was able to keep a full blown SPS tank alive for a full week after Hurricane Irma last year using a generator. Unfortunately I ran out of gas after a week (no gas available in the lower FL Keys for several weeks), and we did not have power for 27 days, so Irma won in the end... having a generator is always a good backup plan though.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that right there is why this is such an awesome forum to be a part of:) @Pntbll687 it sounds like you've got yourself covered for now, let us know how things go from here and if you have any more questions.

What type of battery do you have running the heater off the inverter??? Also what type of generator did you manage to pick up?

I have a car battery ( Walmart brand) on the inverter. I got the tank up to Temp, then unhooked the heater, and wrapped a towel around the tank when I left for work, to try and save the battery. I'm home now for a bit and plugged the heater back in, Temp was only down 3 degrees.

Generator is a power mate cx3500, running a mag12 pump and 800watt heater.

All fish that I can see are alive. The only fish I haven't seen is a fire fish in the small tank. But he might just be hiding.

Power company says power possibly back on by 330 today.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! I am a firm believer that a generator is almost a must have for a Reef tank. I live in a mobile home park that is separate from the municipal power grid. The inverts blew up one night and I lost power for 5 days. Thankfully I had a Honda eu2000 that ran both of my tanks (a 110 and a 50) with lights and all for a solid 8-10 hours before needing to be refilled.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back