I think it's dinos

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I'm pretty sure I have dinos. Based on my research I think it's Prorocentrum? Anybody able to confirm or reject my guess? Just trying to figure out exactly (or as close as possible) what it is so I can kill it with fire haha.

I took the below pictures with my phone and microscope, thanks in advance!! PXL_20220514_033707175.jpg
PXL_20220514_033814945.jpg
PXL_20220514_033850652.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prorocentrum dinos.

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prorocentrum dinos.
That's that I thought too, the more I looked into it the more I thought it was that. Thanks!

I feel for ya, good luck. I got tired of the battle and dosed dino-x. Gone in a week.
Ya, it's sucked, it's in my anemone tank and took out a whole lot of bubble tips before I figured out it wasn't algae. There's only 3 fish in it and they seem fine for now, along with 2 RFAs left.
I've changed my tactics now, but it hasn't been long enough yet. So Dino-x worked well for you? Did you figure out the root cause beforehand and correct that? I'm not in a rush right now, but may get frustrated in the future lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's that I thought too, the more I looked into it the more I thought it was that. Thanks!

Ya, it's sucked, it's in my anemone tank and took out a whole lot of bubble tips before I figured out it wasn't algae. There's only 3 fish in it and they seem fine for now, along with 2 RFAs left.
I've changed my tactics now, but it hasn't been long enough yet. So Dino-x worked well for you? Did you figure out the root cause beforehand and correct that? I'm not in a rush right now, but may get frustrated in the future lol
what are your params? dinos are often caused by bottomed out Nitrates/phosphates.

If on the sand, make sure you have CUC who stir the sandbed.

If they are migrating into water at night use UV. If they are not going into the water stir them up with something and do a blackout for a day or too, should get them to go up.

Bottled bac/live rock/live sand transplants can help

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a CC inferno in the tank that wasnt affected when I dosed. I had the same prowhateveritis dinos and UV does nothing. I dosed MB7 for months, siphoned daily into the filter socks, dosed neophos, diy coral snow, silicates…nothing worked. It started after a dose of fluconazole for GHA. Nutrients bottomed. Now I’m slowly lowering PO4 that went from having to dose to be detectable to .21. I’m sure all that dosing got bound up in rock and sand. It’s coming down now and the nem is happier with high nutrients than Dino’s. Thankfully you don’t have a lot of coral. I lost so, so much coral. SPS we’re the first to go then LPS. Lost all my chalices, montipora, cyphastrea, acans, all hammers and a bunch of expensive indo torches.

make sure to run carbon that **** is toxic

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CC inferno in the tank that wasnt affected when I dosed. I had the same prowhateveritis dinos and UV does nothing. I dosed MB7 for months, siphoned daily into the filter socks, dosed neophos, diy coral snow, silicates…nothing worked. It started after a dose of fluconazole for GHA. Nutrients bottomed. Now I’m slowly lowering PO4 that went from having to dose to be detectable to .21. I’m sure all that dosing got bound up in rock and sand. It’s coming down now and the nem is happier with high nutrients than Dino’s. Thankfully you don’t have a lot of coral. I lost so, so much coral. SPS we’re the first to go then LPS. Lost all my chalices, montipora, cyphastrea, acans, all hammers and a bunch of expensive indo torches.

How are you treating with UA? Sump or display feed/return? I have Ostreopsis dinos and cleared them up when I had my UV directly in the display. Now that I've plumbed my UV in the sump (and made it bigger wattage) the Dinos are back in full force. My next step is to get an intake/outake directly from my display. Such an eyesore, but I'm making no progress otherwise.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you treating with UA? Sump or display feed/return? I have Ostreopsis dinos and cleared them up when I had my UV directly in the display. Now that I've plumbed my UV in the sump (and made it bigger wattage) the Dinos are back in full force. My next step is to get an intake/outake directly from my display. Such an eyesore, but I'm making no progress otherwise.
My UV goes From return pump to uv - UV to tank using the existing plumbing.

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your params? dinos are often caused by bottomed out Nitrates/phosphates.

If on the sand, make sure you have CUC who stir the sandbed.

If they are migrating into water at night use UV. If they are not going into the water stir them up with something and do a blackout for a day or too, should get them to go up.

Bottled bac/live rock/live sand transplants can help
Yea so funny story, on my test Red Sea kits they always read high so that's why I thought it was algae and not dinos. I think it's both really now but I did an ICP test to confirm and everything's high. It came back with 59.80 mg/l Nitrate and 0.29 mg/l Phosphate lol. I had been trying to lower them for some time, but when the outbreak kept getting worse that's when I put it under the microscope and here we are haha.
I'm just going to keep trying to lower things but am also dosing Microbacter7, phyto, and a little bit of peroxide. I dunno guess I'll see.
I'm also open to suggestions, feel like I'm in a weird spot.

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well that sucks. I'm not looking forward to that. Maybe once I get all my parameters in check if it's not getting better I'll look into Dino-x. And that really sucks losing so much coral. I've had that happen before, not in this tank or from dinos but in my 140. This tank did have about 15 Nems though that I've lost in batches when I thought I had things under control. As much as I hate to admit it I even lost a CSB, it was a lone nem when I put it in and that was the start of the problem so I had no idea what was about to happen :(

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so funny story, on my test Red Sea kits they always read high so that's why I thought it was algae and not dinos. I think it's both really now but I did an ICP test to confirm and everything's high. It came back with 59.80 mg/l Nitrate and 0.29 mg/l Phosphate lol. I had been trying to lower them for some time, but when the outbreak kept getting worse that's when I put it under the microscope and here we are haha.
I'm just going to keep trying to lower things but am also dosing Microbacter7, phyto, and a little bit of peroxide. I dunno guess I'll see.
I'm also open to suggestions, feel like I'm in a weird spot.
Black out should work on those dinoflagellates, high parameters seem to be consistent with autotrophic dinoflagellates, meaning they just need light , carbon dioxide and carbonates to get energy from.

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black out should work on those dinoflagellates, high parameters seem to be consistent with autotrophic dinoflagellates, meaning they just need light , carbon dioxide and carbonates to get energy from.
Oh okay cool, I'll try that. I've decreased my light schedule significantly already and that seems like it was helping. How long do you think I should try? 3 days seems to be what I've heard for other things but not sure for this.
Thanks!

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks. I'm not looking forward to that. Maybe once I get all my parameters in check if it's not getting better I'll look into Dino-x. And that really sucks losing so much coral. I've had that happen before, not in this tank or from dinos but in my 140. This tank did have about 15 Nems though that I've lost in batches when I thought I had things under control. As much as I hate to admit it I even lost a CSB, it was a lone nem when I put it in and that was the start of the problem so I had no idea what was about to happen :(
I bought an inferno from a seller on this site and my tank broke out with dino. I had the seller hold it for like 2 months before sending. It’s much happier now but nems seem to be dumb. It put itself near an mp40 with a lot of flow. Certain parts of the day it’s tentacles are twisted. Later in the day when it switches to lagoon mode they straighten out and inflate. It’s weird.
D5CEEC62-92D7-4DEC-AB20-8EF51D5E8E6F.jpeg

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an inferno from a seller on this site and my tank broke out with dino. I had the seller hold it for like 2 months before sending. It’s much happier now but nems seem to be dumb. It put itself near an mp40 with a lot of flow. Certain parts of the day it’s tentacles are twisted. Later in the day when it switches to lagoon mode they straighten out and inflate. It’s weird.
D5CEEC62-92D7-4DEC-AB20-8EF51D5E8E6F.jpeg
Wow it's beautiful!! That's awesome that the seller held it for you!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 80 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back