i think it's velvet time

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone,the last days i've seen my tank to be hit by velvet(most probably... itcould be ich though and just don't know **** because i am new) and i am treating my tank with esha oodinex(that's what my lfs gave me for ich).Today i've been reading some articles about velvet and i've come to conclusion that my tank has been hit by velvet and not ich.My fishes symtoms(my cardinal is fine and my dedardinii is only scratching and he is getting close to surface every now and then) is rapid breathing,their body are full of white spots and they don't really like light(i read that this is a velvet sign)...So my question is according to my symptoms do i have velvet? and how is it possible a velvet to show since i've not added and fish for the last 3 months,could stress lead to velvet?Because in the last 2-3 weeks in order to lower my nitrates by a lot i did almost 250 liters water change(not all in once and my tank is 240 liters) ,could this be a factor that "wake up" my velvet and struck my tank?I also used RODI water for my WC and later i've been told that the ph of the RODI water is like 6.5 or something close to this,maybe a drop to ph stressed my fish ?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do us a pic or two under normal / white lights and a set of water test results will help when the cavalry arrives?
Sorry I don't know about diseases, if the fish are breathing hard get an airstone in and make sure you have plenty of surface agitation.
@ReefSquad @Jay Hemdal

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress can lead to velvet but probably not from water changes unless you were removing/moving rocks and such.

Velvet can also come in on anything wet so new corals or snails and so on...

The pH of the RODI will change when you mix it with the salt so don't worry about that.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i can't take a picture because they are all hiding @najer

@Tamberav
i did a re-aquascape in my tank like a month ago,also i didn't add anything for 3 months...So if i have velvet now it means that every fish that i add later on have more chances to get velvet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amyloodinium, velvet will hit the fish very hard and fast, so you need to get them into a full Odinex dose right away. I haven't used Odinex for many years (decades) so the formulation may have changed, follow the label instructions.
Here is a link: https://hw-wiegandt.de/en/produkt/hw-odinex/

Jay

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amyloodinium, velvet will hit the fish very hard and fast, so you need to get them into a full Odinex dose right away. I haven't used Odinex for many years (decades) so the formulation may have changed, follow the label instructions.
Here is a link: https://hw-wiegandt.de/en/produkt/hw-odinex/

Jay
i already did a 3 days cure and yesterday i did a WC and started another 3days cure

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Hi,i want to ask a question.
So the question is if right now i have velvet in my tank this means that i will constantly have these cells in my tank ?and every time i stress my fishes too much or i add a new fish i will have to battle with velvet again?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Hi,i want to ask a question.
So the question is if right now i have velvet in my tank this means that i will constantly have these cells in my tank ?and every time i stress my fishes too much or i add a new fish i will have to battle with velvet again?
That is a difficult question to answer, but the general thought is that if you successfully treat velvet and it stays away for around 45 days, the aquarium can be thought of non-infective.
Jay

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a difficult question to answer, but the general thought is that if you successfully treat velvet and it stays away for around 45 days, the aquarium can be thought of non-infective.
Jay
So there is a chance that i win this battle now but in a period of 45 days i'll have to treat velvet again?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i can't take a picture because they are all hiding @najer

@Tamberav
i did a re-aquascape in my tank like a month ago,also i didn't add anything for 3 months...So if i have velvet now it means that every fish that i add later on have more chances to get velvet?

Yes...the tank needs to sit without fish for 6 weeks minimum imo.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...the tank needs to sit without fish for 6 weeks minimum imo.
well that is not convinient at all!!! well i don't think that my fish will survive the first wave(only my dejardini is doing well).Is there a treatment (not copper) that will remove all the cell from the tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that is not convinient at all!!! well i don't think that my fish will survive the first wave(only my dejardini is doing well).Is there a treatment (not copper) that will remove all the cell from the tank?

Do you have corals and Inverts?

Yes it's not convienent...that is why so many posts about tank wipeouts and why some people QT.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals and Inverts?

Yes it's not convienent...that is why so many posts about tank wipeouts and why some people QT.
the irony is that i was getting ready to start getting corals...

no corals in and only some nassarius snails at the moment...Also i have live rock
I would Qt but no money for extra tank..i barely make out the expenses of my DT

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back