I think my heater bit it.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Eheim 300w 60Hz aquarium heater for my 120 gallon. I have been having some temp swings. The weather is changing here so we have been opening the windows and as such, the ambient temp does swing as well, 68 to 73 usually. I decided to test the heater cause I know they go bad. This one is about 8 months old. I first checked the thermometer in an ice bath and it read 33.4F (about 1.4F) off so not bad. I filled a 24 gallon tote and used that for the heater and waited till the light turned off. The light did turn off after about two hours and the temp read 81F (so it was actually 79.6F). The heater was set at 77F so it was way off so I calibrated it. I reset the heater to 78F and walked away. A few minutes later I checked the heater had turned itself on again but the temp still read 81F. I should mention that for the last several days I have been keeping the heater unplugged during the day and the tank never goes below 79F and usually stays at 81.

Do you think it went bad and needs replaced?

If so, what should I get for a replacement? I would like to something I could put in the sump. The main chamber is 7.5"deep and 12"x12" wide and long. ANy ideas?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo... in my strong opinion. I would never have just ONE heater.

A much better approach to have 2-3 lower wattage heaters in a 120g or higher. If one fails to heat, whippy-do, the other 2 will carry the load.

Im.my 180g I have two heaters on the left and right back wall and one heater in the sump ALL CONTROLLED by Apex

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the thermostats in these heaters are +/- 2 degrees ..... if you get a good one. I’d always recommend using a competent external control unit like a Ranco. EBJ can fail after 8 months, of course, but in the many dozen I’ve owned only one did (and there was an observable break in the heating coil). Is it warm to the touch when energized?

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo... in my strong opinion. I would never have just ONE heater.

A much better approach to have 2-3 lower wattage heaters in a 120g or higher. If one fails to heat, whippy-do, the other 2 will carry the load.

Im.my 180g I have two heaters on the left and right back wall and one heater in the sump ALL CONTROLLED by Apex
I get the value in Apex but I simply can’t afford that. I am going to get two heaters though I’m just not sure if I can find one that will fit in the sump. Thank you

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the thermostats in these heaters are +/- 2 degrees ..... if you get a good one. I’d always recommend using a competent external control unit like a Ranco. EBJ can fail after 8 months, of course, but in the many dozen I’ve owned only one did (and there was an observable break in the heating coil). Is it warm to the touch when energized?
Never heard of Ranco. What is it? When I google it comes up with a thermostat for refrigeration

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after another hour, the temp was up another half degree to 81.5. Definitely going to get another, probably two.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace it & use a separate controller
Ok I have been looking online to find a controller and there are some inexpensive options but I'm very confused. Do you have any recommendations? Can you use something that's not actually intended for aquariums?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back