I think my powder blue tang has ich

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my powder blue has ich I’ve included a picture down below and I’m looking for suggestions

IMG_3238.jpeg

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just closed and I noticed some dots yesterday but today it is very noticeable

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give my usual spiel here:

I'd suggest at a minimum posting the info suggested in the quote below, and if possible reading through the link below that (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.
Also, if it is ich:
if you want to treat ich effectively, you need either copper medication (chelated copper like Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25-2.5ppm for 30 days after the last ich trophonts disappear is recommended) or hyposalinity (drop your salinity to 1.009 and keep the tank at that salinity for 30 days after the last signs/symptoms of the disease disappear)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think my powder blue has ich I’ve included a picture down below and I’m looking for suggestions

IMG_3238.jpeg
This is ich and mucus cones mixed with ich which this type of tang is susceptible to. Often with this , you will notice other occupants show no signs but does not mean they are in the clear. You want to keep an eye on them for any developments. For this fish, you will want to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ich and mucus cones mixed with ich which this type of tang is susceptible to. Often with this , you will notice other occupants show no signs but does not mean they are in the clear. You want to keep an eye on them for any developments. For this fish, you will want to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
How big should my QT tank be? should I put all the fish in there? what are the requirements for the qt tank? If I only have the qt and display what should I put the other fish that show no symptoms in?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How big should my QT tank be? should I put all the fish in there? what are the requirements for the qt tank? If I only have the qt and display what should I put the other fish that show no symptoms in?
You should put them all to be safe and leave the display tank fishless as best case scenario. I recommend a 40 breeder tank
QT tank needs the basics 0 Heater, power filter with carbon removed, air stone for added oxygen and PVC tubes for hiding. Monitor ammonia levels

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should put them all to be safe and leave the display tank fishless as best case scenario. I recommend a 40 breeder tank
QT tank needs the basics 0 Heater, power filter with carbon removed, air stone for added oxygen and PVC tubes for hiding. Monitor ammonia levels
What would be the minimum size tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would also treat the other fish in the tank with the same protocol (while the tank is fallow)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back