I think my tank has a small leak somewhere I found water on the ground. =(

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tank has a small leak somewhere I found water on the ground. =( Not sure where the leak is coming from and not sure what to do with my coral or anything. Will they die if I move rock with water to another tank? Or will it have to recycle?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals will be just fine if you have to move them, as will the rocks. If the tanks been set up for any length of time, you might consider new substrate. It tends to get pretty cruddy over time.

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals will be just fine if you have to move them, as will the rocks. If the tanks been set up for any length of time, you might consider new substrate. It tends to get pretty cruddy over time.
only setup since around november. I guess this is a chance to switch my tank up maybe. Does anyone do reef tanks in rubbermaid bins thought about that for awhile. Just need to figure something out temporarilly for the coral and rocks

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything that holds water, has light, heat and flow, will keep the corals going. What size tank>? Are you sure it's leaking? How much water? Made sure it's not the plumbing itself?

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything that holds water, has light, heat and flow, will keep the corals going. What size tank>? Are you sure it's leaking? How much water? Made sure it's not the plumbing itself?
its only a 55 Its a small leak idk where its coming from. I dont think its pluming because i have no sump only hob protein skimemr and hob filter

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
only setup since around november. I guess this is a chance to switch my tank up maybe. Does anyone do reef tanks in rubbermaid bins thought about that for awhile. Just need to figure something out temporarilly for the coral and rocks

Yes, many people use black rubbermaid containers from Tractor Supply (or similar stores) to use as coral growout tanks. The thinner clear rubbermaid containers will bow out on the sides and likely be unusable without a frame or box to hold it in place.

Do you best to find the leak before you start moving things. If you think you found the leak then dry it off and see if any water comes back (especially works if the tank is just barely seeping). Good luck!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaks are pretty easy to find with seawater, look for saltcreep.

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many people use black rubbermaid containers from Tractor Supply (or similar stores) to use as coral growout tanks. The thinner clear rubbermaid containers will bow out on the sides and likely be unusable without a frame or box to hold it in place.

Do you best to find the leak before you start moving things. If you think you found the leak then dry it off and see if any water comes back (especially works if the tank is just barely seeping). Good luck!
im considering
Leaks are pretty easy to find with seawater, look for saltcreep.
not seeing it still, already looked. I wonder if its the skimmer but I don't think it is though because the wood floor is buckling a little on the opposite side of the skimmer and there was water on the opposite side and up and arround that side of the tank stand edge.

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a good way to check for skimmer leeks?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a good way to check for skimmer leeks?
Best way I know of is to wipe it down til it is totally dry and keep an eye on all the fittings and hoses for anything that might look like condensation.

Also do the same thing with the base of your tank.. and your HOB filter.

With the base of your tank, place a Post-It note where you think water might be coming from.. it will slowly soak water and show a different/fading color if it gets what. That's how I found my little leak years ago

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you place paper towels all around the tank, skimmer, plumbing, etc... and see where it gets wet?

We have had something as simple as the string from a bag of carbon hanging over the edge cause water to syphon. Or a plastic light clip that was just at the water surface to cause water to run down the back.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes just check the area where you see the water and see how it's coming out and then you can decide what to do about the leak you find

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have a sump, so, finding the leak should not be difficult.

Will you provide some pictures? Look for things like salt creep. That is usually a good indicator as to where the leak may be coming from.

f8thless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Transferring live stock to storage bins should not be an issue. I've done this multiple times while switching tanks and kept them in there for at least a week. Just make sure you have adequate lighting and water flow.

As for the leak, I'd go with what MTBake said and remove the skimmer, they're usually the culprit.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back