I think my yellow tangs have spawned???

randy fisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think my yellow tangs have spawned and I’m not sure what to do. I don’t even know if there fertile. I have a group of 3 yellow tangs in a tank by themselves, this happened right after I turned the lights on. I didn’t see it happen but I noticed these clear dots almost looked like bubbles floating around the tank. I scooped as many out as I can and put them in a bucket with an air stone to keep them rolling. Pictures are below if anyone could help me that would be great!!! This is the egg under a microscope.

432C6ED3-4B93-4734-8165-FDE4AEFC1ABC.jpeg

The Best reef aquarium LED lighting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Likely snail eggs. The yellow tang is defined as a pelagic spawner, meaning that they release free-floating sperm and eggs into the water to be taken away with the current. Because of this and the particular requirements for spawning, breeding in captivity is generally not done

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It's entirely possible those are yellow tang eggs, maybe @Biota_Marine can take a look at the image and see what they think, since they have bred yellow tangs in captivity. Lots of people have reported pelagic spawning in their tanks, including many types of large and pygmy angels - I think hearing about tangs spawning is less common because fewer people keep multiples of any particular type of tang in their tanks.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hmmm....how tall is your tank, and did you notice them doing any spawning ascents (swimming/chasing each other around, and then suddently darting towards the surface, followed by darting back towards the bottom of the tank)? How big are the fish?

Do you have an Aquarium Equipment & Husbandry Maintenance Schedule?

• Yes equipment ad husbandry

Votes: 135 54.9%
  • Yes but equipment only

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Yes but husbandry only

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • No I currently do not

Votes: 66 26.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Build Your Dream Aquarium Automation System!