I think my yellow tangs have spawned???

First Choice Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my yellow tangs have spawned and I’m not sure what to do. I don’t even know if there fertile. I have a group of 3 yellow tangs in a tank by themselves, this happened right after I turned the lights on. I didn’t see it happen but I noticed these clear dots almost looked like bubbles floating around the tank. I scooped as many out as I can and put them in a bucket with an air stone to keep them rolling. Pictures are below if anyone could help me that would be great!!! This is the egg under a microscope.

432C6ED3-4B93-4734-8165-FDE4AEFC1ABC.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely snail eggs. The yellow tang is defined as a pelagic spawner, meaning that they release free-floating sperm and eggs into the water to be taken away with the current. Because of this and the particular requirements for spawning, breeding in captivity is generally not done

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's entirely possible those are yellow tang eggs, maybe @Biota_Marine can take a look at the image and see what they think, since they have bred yellow tangs in captivity. Lots of people have reported pelagic spawning in their tanks, including many types of large and pygmy angels - I think hearing about tangs spawning is less common because fewer people keep multiples of any particular type of tang in their tanks.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....how tall is your tank, and did you notice them doing any spawning ascents (swimming/chasing each other around, and then suddently darting towards the surface, followed by darting back towards the bottom of the tank)? How big are the fish?

OP
OP
First Choice Aquatics

First Choice Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....how tall is your tank, and did you notice them doing any spawning ascents (swimming/chasing each other around, and then suddently darting towards the surface, followed by darting back towards the bottom of the tank)? How big are the fish?
There's only 3 yellow tangs in the tank there's no snails of I know being in the tank and when I saw the tank they were all perfectly floating around like clear little eggs free floating with a black dot. They are full grown yellow tangs about 5-6 inches. I didn't see it happen I just remember turning on the lights and an hour later I come back to look at the tank and all these little eggs were floating around the tank.

OP
OP
First Choice Aquatics

First Choice Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's only 3 yellow tangs in the tank there's no snails of I know being in the tank and when I saw the tank they were all perfectly floating around like clear little eggs free floating with a black dot. They are full grown yellow tangs about 5-6 inches. I didn't see it happen I just remember turning on the lights and an hour later I come back to look at the tank and all these little eggs were floating around the tank.
the tank is 32 inches high its a 265 gallon

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be eggs. They could also not be eggs. But from what I know, my money is on them being eggs.

However, from what I'm seeing, the eggs seem a little bit malformed (the cells aren't as uniform in size as I'd like). Of course, I'm comparing potentially tang eggs to Patiria bat star eggs, so it might be alright.

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations those are def eggs. If you have no other pelagic spawning pairs of fish, those are tang eggs. I have seen angel eggs look very similar as in the yolk being split up so much instead one solid yolk. Once they get better at spawning and development of gametes, you may be getting some fertilization. Post a video.

OP
OP
First Choice Aquatics

First Choice Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update. I put them into a tumbler to keep them moving. The morning after, a couple of them were white so I guess they weren't fertilized, but the rest are still clear and perfectly round. Should they of developed by now, does anyone know about yellow tang eggs? Today I saw the tangs darting to the surface I wasn't able to grab a video but I hope they do it again.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very neat. Post some videos if you can capture images of their naughty behavior. This is a family friendly site so we will expect you to set up some brooding tanks to start raising a new tang family!

Well done making your tanks so happy!

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the oil droplet in the egg split. All of those little balls in the egg should be one single droplet. This can happen from too much agitation right around the time of fertilization. If they are going to develop you should see pretty clear cell division in a couple hours. In my experience, eggs with multiple oil droplets don’t develop well and eventually turn opaque and sink out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 68 26.3%
Back