I think my yellow tangs have spawned???

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know yellow tangs are being bred in captivity, but from what I've gathered it's really hard. You'll need a steady rotifer culture and phytoplankton. Do you have breeding experience?

Disclaimer: I do not!

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randy fisher you dont need to put them in a tumbler. Just place them in a beaker or jar and allow them to sit either in the tank or outside the tank. The cooler the temp, the longer it will take to hatch. I use a little methelyn blue to prohibit bacteria to compromise the eggs.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know yellow tangs are being bred in captivity, but from what I've gathered it's really hard. You'll need a steady rotifer culture and phytoplankton. Do you have breeding experience?

Disclaimer: I do not!
Rotifers won't do it. You need copepod nauplii.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update. I put them into a tumbler to keep them moving. The morning after, a couple of them were white so I guess they weren't fertilized, but the rest are still clear and perfectly round. Should they of developed by now, does anyone know about yellow tang eggs? Today I saw the tangs darting to the surface I wasn't able to grab a video but I hope they do it again.
How tall is your tank?
The problem with pelagic spawning fish is that they usually need a fair amount of height to rise up and then go down again. If the tank isn't high enough they may not have the room to do it right and the eggs may not get fertilized.
The commercial places breeding tangs use very large and very high (like 6 to 10 feet tall) tanks for their broodstock.

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! I would say (and I can’t stress enough that I’m not a fish breeder) I’ve only gotten clowns to spawn. I’d think putting them in a refugim if you have one would be the best bet. Because the amount of micro fauna and tiny detritus in an established fuge is mind boggling... EVERYTHING MOVE. Anyway I didn’t see anyone suggest that so far so I figured I might as well. Good luck!!! I’m jealous haha.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! I would say (and I can’t stress enough that I’m not a fish breeder) I’ve only gotten clowns to spawn. I’d think putting them in a refugim if you have one would be the best bet. Because the amount of micro fauna and tiny detritus in an established fuge is mind boggling... EVERYTHING MOVE. Anyway I didn’t see anyone suggest that so far so I figured I might as well. Good luck!!! I’m jealous haha.
This could work...once the fish have gotten past metamorphosis or settled. Otherwise, there's a lot of things that could kill the larvae. I'm also not sure about how well tang larvae can manage 3D environments in the early stages of development, and if they can't, well it's bad news for them.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool. I have two tangs, but not a deep enough tank to expect any spawning. They are young too. However, I have had clowns, gobies, damsels all spawn nicely in my tanks over the years. Good luck!!!
Even if you cannot raise them, it is great to see the behavior and health.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back