I want to add more fish.... But what can I add?!?!?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I see these wonderful tanks that are close in size to mine (I have a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 which is 165 gallons - 5x2x2) that have a ton of fish in them. They have schools of different fish, and even have multiple tangs and other large fish, etc. I'd love to have many more fish than I do right now. I love to watch them, but more importantly I'd like them for my SPS corals.

What I'd love to know is - what do people recommend I add to my tank? I'd like to add at least another 10+ fish. I'm not picky on what I add, but money isn't necessarily an issue either (within reason). Below is a list of the fish I have currently. Note that I do not have a sandbed but I do have a lot of rockwork.

5x Black Axil Chromis
2x Flame Hawkfish
2x Picasso Clowns
1x Helfrichi Firefish
1x Yellow Tang
1x Coral Beauty Angelfish
1x Bengai Cardinalfish
3x Bartlett Anthias <- unfortunately these got bullied and died / were given away to LFS

Given that my anthias were bullied with a seemingly peaceful group of fish, I'm scratching my head as to how others with similar sized tanks are able to carry so many fish. Is there some sort of breaking point where adding a bunch more fish actually levels the tank out and makes everyone happier? I'm open to all ideas and I appreciate everyone's insights!

Thanks,
Scott

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have -

3 x yellow tangs
2 x purple tangs
2 x blue tangs
1 x gem tang
1 x chevron tang
1 x blonde naso tang
1 x d. sailfin tang
1 x multi-banded angel
1 x flame angel
2 x crosshatch triggers (m/f)
1 x maroon clown
1 x sixline wrasse
1 x orange beaked filefish
1 x cowfish
1 x leopard wrasse
1 x copperbanded butterfly
1 x mandarin goby
1 x bluespot jawfish

all in a 240gallon, plus shrimp, snails, urchin, LPS and SPS...

it's all about water maintenance, hiding spots, getting lucky, etc.

tangs always fight for a day or 2 but then get bored. besides putting in something that's not reef safe e.g. mean trigger, i think it's not too hard to keep adding. just pay attention to the types of fish (like adding tangs - i have been lucky, but it can be tricky)... I could not add any type of clown to my system as the maroon would definitely kill it/them.

biggest problem i see (for me) is if the fish get ridiculously big (some are already pretty meaty).

my suggesting is add a few at a time (vs one), feed your tank first... wait, turn lights off then add the new guys. make sure they are "compatible" types (your tank is mostly nice/shy fish). what were you hoping to add?

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks @sunken3 I appreciate the info. I would love to add some wrasse's, a black cap basslet, maybe a goby, and then a bunch of schooling fish like anthias. I'd also LOVE to add a gem tang but I know they're crazy expensive so I would only add it if I thought it would definitely be safe. But I'm really flexible and open to anything.

I will note that, before I added the Coral Beauty, I had a large orangeback wrasse that got absolutely hounded by the yellow tang. So I think my yellow tang is on the bully/aggresive side. I like the yellow tang, but I'd gladly remove him from the tank if it helped the balance!

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck.. maybe you just need to add some more tangs to balance him out.. drop in two more yellow tangs and they'll all probably do just fine (they'd need to be equal size). i have also heard people having issues with multiple dwarf angels, but i've never seen it myself. clowns tend to be the biggest butts - also damsels, but i haven't had those in years.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks @sunken3 I appreciate the info. I would love to add some wrasse's, a black cap basslet, maybe a goby, and then a bunch of schooling fish like anthias. I'd also LOVE to add a gem tang but I know they're crazy expensive so I would only add it if I thought it would definitely be safe. But I'm really flexible and open to anything.

I will note that, before I added the Coral Beauty, I had a large orangeback wrasse that got absolutely hounded by the yellow tang. So I think my yellow tang is on the bully/aggresive side. I like the yellow tang, but I'd gladly remove him from the tank if it helped the balance!
gotta shop around on the gem tangs.. $300-$3000. (hint dont buy the $3000 ones)... :)

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta shop around on the gem tangs.. $300-$3000. (hint dont buy the $3000 ones)... :)
Haha yep I've seen them in quite the wide range. Haven't seen them for $300 yet though... I get most of my fish from LiveAquaria (certainly not the cheapest...) and they usually go for $700-$1000. If you have a good source where they are cheaper, I'd be all ears! Thanks!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add some algae grazers such as foxface and lawnmower blennie. Perhaps some tangs if you don't mind hearing from the tang police :). You could certainly have some reef-safe wrasses in there. I have one each of Lineatus, mystery, blue head, flame, ornate leopard wrasse in my 150g (5x2x2 like yours). I had a pair of pintail fairy wrasses but both managed to jump out when my wife left the feeding door in the lid open.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @bblumberg the wrasses are the #1 fish I want to add, but after seeing the orangeback wrasse get bullied I'm a bit gunshy. Do you think that adding a few wrasses (maybe 4 or so), maybe along with another tang, all at the same time would be a good idea?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading to a 72x30x24 225 gal tank and this is the list of tangs I will add, so far.

Achilles tang
D. Sailfin tang
Blonde Naso tang
Tomini tang
Purple tang
Gem tang

And my list of wrasses to add.

Eight Line Flasher wrasse
Lunate Fairy wrasse
Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Pintail Fairy wrasse
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse
Blue Flasher wrasse
Ornate wrasse

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @bblumberg the wrasses are the #1 fish I want to add, but after seeing the orangeback wrasse get bullied I'm a bit gunshy. Do you think that adding a few wrasses (maybe 4 or so), maybe along with another tang, all at the same time would be a good idea?
i would not add just one tang.. need to add 2 or more (so you have at least 3)

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yep I've seen them in quite the wide range. Haven't seen them for $300 yet though... I get most of my fish from LiveAquaria (certainly not the cheapest...) and they usually go for $700-$1000. If you have a good source where they are cheaper, I'd be all ears! Thanks!
a LFS by me had them for $350 one week, then $650 the next.. crazy

NYaquatics has them at pretty good prices once in a while. LiveAquaria... lol.. they have a lot of stuff, but yes, you need to really know your pricing. they can (and are often) very high. but sometimes, they have a great price, or the only place that carries something.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are hit or miss for me. I have a Carpenter's flasher wrasse that was nearly killed by the mystery wrasse, but it didn't bother any of the others that much. It could be a size thing. Try to get larger ones that can take care of themselves and make sure there are plenty of places in the rockwork they can escape to. My Carpenter's wrasse is back in quarantine until it gets bigger.

I did not know that the mystery wrasses were bullies when I got it at about 1". It was very shy so I didn't worry much. It is now about 3" and a bit of a bully.

My yellow tang was a big problem at first, but now is subordinate to a very large Dejardin's tang, a large powder blue tang, and a very active Achilles tang. The powder blue and Achilles chase each other around in tight circles at least once a day, but have been coexisting for more than a year without trouble. I do feed them at least one sheet of nori a day and sometimes 2.

Last edited:

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface Rabbitfish are very peaceful, flame hawkfish always great to watch but can get aggressive, my favorite guy is a tassel filefish. Gets to six inches and doesn’t bother anybody. Swims like an eel. however do not let a cleaner wrasse eat all the tassels.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I see these wonderful tanks that are close in size to mine (I have a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 which is 165 gallons - 5x2x2) that have a ton of fish in them. They have schools of different fish, and even have multiple tangs and other large fish, etc. I'd love to have many more fish than I do right now. I love to watch them, but more importantly I'd like them for my SPS corals.

What I'd love to know is - what do people recommend I add to my tank? I'd like to add at least another 10+ fish. I'm not picky on what I add, but money isn't necessarily an issue either (within reason). Below is a list of the fish I have currently. Note that I do not have a sandbed but I do have a lot of rockwork.

5x Black Axil Chromis
2x Flame Hawkfish
2x Picasso Clowns
1x Helfrichi Firefish
1x Yellow Tang
1x Coral Beauty Angelfish
1x Bengai Cardinalfish
3x Bartlett Anthias <- unfortunately these got bullied and died / were given away to LFS

Given that my anthias were bullied with a seemingly peaceful group of fish, I'm scratching my head as to how others with similar sized tanks are able to carry so many fish. Is there some sort of breaking point where adding a bunch more fish actually levels the tank out and makes everyone happier? I'm open to all ideas and I appreciate everyone's insights!

Thanks,
Scott
Add in groups. If adding a single fish to the mix it can get overwhelmed with all of the others picking and focusing on the new guy. A group will spread it out so it’s not 1 taking all of it until things line out in the hierarchy.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Thanks for all of the tips. @bblumberg can I ask a silly question - how do you feed the nori? I've tried to clip it to a suction cup and inevitably the snails just eat it all....

@sunken3 I love a desjardini tang and a gem tang. you think if I add those together at the same time, along with some wrasses and some anthias, I will be all set? Those are my top 3 fish types I'd like to have....

@drblakjak55 that's cool I never thought about the foxface. In terms of tassels - I'd probably shy away given that I'd really like to have some wrasse. Thanks!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the following fishes. Please ask if you have any specific questions. They should all do well in a 165 gal tank. Need some sand bed.
Eightline Flasher wrasse (tight cover needed for all wrasse)
EightlineFlasher2019061301.jpg

Black leopard Wrasse (sand bed needed) Can be keep in pair or harem
BlackLeopardWrasse2020031503.jpg

CBB
CBB2016052301.jpg

China Wrasse (can be keep pair or harem)
ChinaWrasse2020102603.jpg

Mandarin, can be keep in pair. Here is my Male. If you only keep one, get a male
Mandarin2019010607.jpg

Melanurus Wrasse (or Vrolik wrasse) This is my female Vrolik
MelanurusWrasse2020033103.jpg

Meleagris Leopard (can be keep in pair or harem, sand bed needed) This is my male
MeleagrisLeopard2020100802Male.jpg

A harem of Dwarf Angel. I see that you have Coral Beauty, get one or two more. Here are my harem of Flame and Flameback angels
FlameAngel2019080502PairCourtship.jpg

Flameback2020102807.jpg

Two more tangs. I recommend Purple and Powder Blue tang
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg

PBT2019040601.jpg

And a Regal Angel or two.
RegalAngelYellowChest2016051501.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Thanks for all of the tips. @bblumberg can I ask a silly question - how do you feed the nori? I've tried to clip it to a suction cup and inevitably the snails just eat it all....
I am not @bblumberg but this is how I keep my snails, urchins, and abalone from getting to the Nori for the fish:

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great info - thanks so much everyone. So can I confirm that if I were to add the following fish, all at the same time, that my tank is big enough and I am likely to have success?

1x Purple Tang (same size as current yellow tang)
1x Gem Tang (same size as current yellow tang)
4x wrasse (different kinds that don't require sand)
3-5x anthias (not sure what kind)

Do you think that my 5x2x2 165g tank can handle that fish load, along with what I currently have?

Thanks!

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@sunken3 I love a desjardini tang and a gem tang. you think if I add those together at the same time, along with some wrasses and some anthias, I will be all set? Those are my top 3 fish types I'd like to have....

@drblakjak55 that's cool I never thought about the foxface. In terms of tassels - I'd probably shy away given that I'd really like to have some wrasse. Thanks!
if you add the tangs at the same time, you will probably be ok.. i say probably, because there is always chance that a fish is crazy. i have a smaller tank with a pygmy angel (with 6 other fish) - 2 clowns chase him around when ever they see him. thankfully for him, he is faster and smaller - he goes in places they cannot.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great info - thanks so much everyone. So can I confirm that if I were to add the following fish, all at the same time, that my tank is big enough and I am likely to have success?

1x Purple Tang (same size as current yellow tang)
1x Gem Tang (same size as current yellow tang)
4x wrasse (different kinds that don't require sand)
3-5x anthias (not sure what kind)

Do you think that my 5x2x2 165g tank can handle that fish load, along with what I currently have?

Thanks!
likely - depends on your filtration. you may need to up your water changes in the first month or so. I don't know a ton about wrasses, so I would say it depends on how big they get. I feel like most fish dont get as big in tanks as they do in the wild which is likely why we can stuff so many in a tank. Also, you need enough actual water in the tank (meaning how much is offset by rock work). i haven't seen huge yellow or gem tangs, naso and unicorns can get quite big (to keep in mind)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back