I want to have corals, but

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of frag plugs or squares. I would much rather have them attached to any rock I have, is this unrealistic? Of course I don’t have the first clue on how to remove them and mount them if I went this route.

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, most corals you can cut off the frag and glue to your rock. I am no expert, pretty new but I did this for my first three and they are thriving and happy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially you can mount them anywhere or on anything you want .
Cut them off the plug or I find it easier to cut the stem off the plug with bone cutters which came in the coral fragging kit .

glue to what you want using super glue

I prefer coral glue or ( ici gel )

ReefAir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of frag plugs or squares. I would much rather have them attached to any rock I have, is this unrealistic? Of course I don’t have the first clue on how to remove them and mount them if I went this route.
Frag plugs can easily be pulled off from the coral base as the supplier you're getting them from also used glue to attach them to the plug. Just tug on the coral base & frag plug in opposite forced & it'll be set free from the plug, Of course be careful not to damage the coral. From there apply glue to the bottom of the frag & place it on the rock work. Happy Reefing! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag plugs can easily be pulled off from the coral base as the supplier you're getting them from also used glue to attach them to the plug. Just tug on the coral base & frag plug in opposite forced & it'll be set free from the plug, Of course be careful not to damage the coral. From there apply glue to the bottom of the frag & place it on the rock work. Happy Reefing! :)
This would only work if the new frag hasn’t started to encrust the plug yet .
Most times a good coral frag vendor doesn’t sell fresh cut frags

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most lps and sps can easily be taken off the frag plug and just glued down anywhere. There are some exceptions most of which are the corals that encrust which are not really friendly to remove from the frag plug. And softies you can really remove them from the plug as you can glue them to rocks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would only work if the new frag hasn’t started to encrust the plug yet .
Most times a good coral frag vendor doesn’t sell fresh cut frags
And this is why I usually just cut the stem off of the plug

the base of the plug will soon be encrusted over , only to see a small raised area

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been covered, but check-out some others that put full tiles on rocks with time none of it will be noticeable, its just personal preference, the smooth surface of the tile can make the coral grow quicker as it's easier for it to lay down new growth on a smooth surface compared to a rock with holes and crevices. I have also surrounded frags with smooth epoxy to achieve the same effect.

Back