I want to upgrade my return pump…will I ruin my sump water level?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is interesting. Will positioning half the pumps lower pointing up be the solution?
I had initially thought so until you said the particles are 'sand'. BUT - I would think that pointing the flow more upward would be helpful.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i could be wrong but it is almost like the weir on the right is used as a secondary overflow if the water level goes up. how much flow do you have through that hose? the thing i would wonder about increasing the gpm of the return is whether the pump would empty the sump and suck air when it is started? would your ATO misinterpret the drop in level and add too much water?
I used to have this tank (or a very similar one) - the second weir is generally used the way it is designed - and doesnt need to be modified. There are also usually 2 returns (from my tank - I had a T off my return pump to pump into both of the returns that were provided with the tank plumbing.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow on the right drains VERY slowly compared to the left side. I could potentially remove that acrylic/silicone and increase the return pump…is the juice worth the squeeze? Seems like the main problem was my particles weren’t making it towards to surface. I think I should be good now with my new powerhead position.

Do I need to upgrade the return?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The overflow on the right drains VERY slowly compared to the left side. I could potentially remove that acrylic/silicone and increase the return pump…is the juice worth the squeeze? Seems like the main problem was my particles weren’t making it towards to surface. I think I should be good now with my new powerhead position.

Do I need to upgrade the return?
I do not see any reason for the right side to drain more slowly than the other one. To me it does not make sense. The water will only drain from the left and right as quickly as its being put into the tank by the return pump. Having both sides draining 'the same' will improve flow/oxygenation and filtration in your tank, IMHO. Did whoever set up your tank do something to the interior of th e overflow? I would try doing what you're doing with the pump, try removing the silicone from the right side (unless there is a reason its there) - and also being careful by removing some water before you remove it as it could result in more water in the sump.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Can you take a look at this video? I just took it now of my new pump layout. You can see the particles better. Does it look like sand?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can only see the big pieces

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter should take care of your problem with particular issues however I did notice in your videos that you step your return plumbing down to what looks like 1” . When you step the pipes down you create a bottle neck there. If you are still considering a new return pump replace your smaller pipes so they are all the same size. Also go with a dc pump you can contr the outflow from them

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter should take care of your problem with particular issues however I did notice in your videos that you step your return plumbing down to what looks like 1” . When you step the pipes down you create a bottle neck there. If you are still considering a new return pump replace your smaller pipes so they are all the same size. Also go with a dc pump you can contr the outflow from them
Necking down a pressurized system with decrease volume and increase velocity. The issue I think initially is can the overflow keep up with a larger pump. If the new pump is adjustable you can adjust down if not. But a sub 1k per hour pump on a 250g tank isn't enough and may explain the particulates. If the pump is brand new at 1k per hour, age or wear on the impeller as well as head height further reduce this.I would aim for a 10x capable return pump and throttle back to your desired circulation. I also agree with making adjustments to your in tank flow to maybe help get the particulates moving a different way and not be trapped. I also could have totally missed the point and of so my apologies.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to this?
D46A33B7-499C-4C04-8A69-821AF34740A1.jpeg

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a couple of the videos. So to summarize you want to get rid of the suspended particles? Change the flow inside the tank first but also drain things properly.

Why do you have the overflow blocked off? Is your tank not level or something?

Are those elbows in those drain pipes?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a couple of the videos. So to summarize you want to get rid of the suspended particles? Change the flow inside the tank first but also drain things properly.

I have no idea why he blocked off the tank. This older guy that used to work with aquariums did this. I was not involved with the tank at the time. It was 5 years ago.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why he blocked off the tank. This older guy that used to work with aquariums did this. I was not involved with the tank at the time. It was 5 years ago.

I just called the guy. He said if he remembers correctly it wasn’t leveled. But he wasn’t 100% sure.

What does “not leveled mean”?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use s sharp razor knife
PS - to help peel the silicone away (not to cut the acrylic). Also just for discussion - what was the reason for the silicone in the first place?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you transport the tank to your place? What may have been not level before is unknown now. So whether or not you need that overflow blocked off slightly is also unknown. How’s the flow between the two overflows?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you transport the tank to your place? What may have been not level before is unknown now. So whether or not you need that overflow blocked off slightly is also unknown. How’s the flow between the two overflows?
The flow has a MAJOR difference. The one blocked comes off 80% less.

This tank was running for 10 years but there were some plumbing issues so they called him and he made changes - including blocking that part off. I personally don’t see anything wrong with removing the acrylic as long as I get a stronger pump to push more water out.

But I personally don’t see it working. I spoke to the guy and he suggests to limit surface agitation.

Can I get an agreed suggestion on what I should do? Seems like a LOT of different things needed and I’m not sure how willing I am to start replumbing the tank if it won’t even help

Upgrade return?
Increase pipe size?
Open blocked acrylic?

Are we still agreeing on a bigger return?

Seems like my diatom filters will handle it regardless.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking to change my return pumps. I currently run 2 Cor 20's, and I am looking to go to an Abyzz A200. I will also change the plumbing size from 1 in to 1.25 in returns. It will change the flow rate, but you will just have to tinker with it to get the same flow rate thru the sump as you have before. I shoot for 4-5x's. I use an external overflow with a Bean Animal plumbing setup.

Looks like Mnfish1 is on it, so you are in good hands.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back