I wish we could get along

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after we over a year old now. I’ve had them for 13 months and they fought to establish dominance on month 2 till the male that lost swam upside down and went in the box to heal. They have been fine for 10 months except today they are misbehaving so I had to break out the isolation box again. Had to get a quick video since it was like dogs chasing their tails. Dropped food in to try and distract and nothing. So quiet time. Any ideas if I can let him out at lights out or should I wait till morning?

IMG_2554.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2552.mov
    14.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after we over a year old now. I’ve had them for 13 months and they fought to establish dominance on month 2 till the male that lost swam upside down and went in the box to heal. They have been fine for 10 months except today they are misbehaving so I had to break out the isolation box again. Had to get a quick video since it was like dogs chasing their tails. Dropped food in to try and distract and nothing. So quiet time. Any ideas if I can let him out at lights out or should I wait till morning?

IMG_2554.jpeg

I always isolate the "winner" of any clownfish fights, and let the "loser" remain free in the tank to try and let it build strength. However, that may just be wishful thinking, as managing clownfish pairs can be a real challenge.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always isolate the "winner" of any clownfish fights, and let the "loser" remain free in the tank to try and let it build strength. However, that may just be wishful thinking, as managing clownfish pairs can be a real challenge.
I tried but she has too much energy to catch her.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours now that he's big. oh boy.
Honestly the best bet I’ve had was using the iso box in the sump. I feel like sometimes when they can see their habitat but not get to it, it creates anger and a readiness for when they get out lol

I noticed when they get completely taken out of the habitat, when reintroduced, they seem to act like a fish in a new place.

This is all anecdotal and I have no proof of it.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, it's just been so long since the last aggression. I thought we might be through it. Maybe it's because he's been gaining weight and getting closer to her size.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but she has too much energy to catch her.
I've had the need to catch a clownfish a few times. I would just go to the tank about an hour before sunrise, shine a flashlight on the fish that needed a time-out, and gently scooped it out with my hand. It's really that simple (with clownfish, anyway).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back