Ice Cap Battery Backup 2.0

HOLYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into battery backup options and came across this at marine depot.

The new 2.0 battery backup version from ICE CAP is now 24Volt and apparently is compatible with most DC pumps.
Does anyone have any experience with this unit since the 2.0 version came out?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old version and just used a 12v-24v converter to power my main pump. It works perfectly without fail. Every time I have a power loss my UPS takes over and runs for about 90 min, then the IceCap takes over and continues provide power to the pumps. I also wired in a 35AH 12v sealed battery for increased run time. With that hooked up my return and wave maker pumps will run for about 4 days before the batteries run out of juice. If mine fails I'll probably look into the 24v unit as a replacement.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if this works with the icecap gyre pumps? One would hope so but product page doesn’t specify!

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the barrel connector is the same size and polarity any 24v pump will work with it. If the barrel connector is a different size just get an adapter at your local electronic parts store or online and you'll be good. I use mine on a current eFlux and a pair of Jaebo wave makers. These units are fairly straight forward. There's a 12-24v input that connects to a circuit board that has a pair out outputs on it, and connects to the battery(s). The output channels have diodes on them so power will only flow out. You also get a pair of y-cable connectors that have two male and one female end on them. You connect one end to the battery and the other to the pump. The factory power supply for the pump then connect to the female end of the adapter cable. Your power supply will supply main power to the pump during normal operation. If/when the power fails voltage from the battery instantly takes over and the pump continues to run until either power is restored or the battery runs down.

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the new Icecap Battery Backup will work with MP40s? Looks like there's a port labeled 12v battery backup and the normal port is for a 24v input from the power supply. I'm assuming one can just plug into the 24v port but want to make sure that's the case.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barrel connector for Ecotech devices is smaller than the size the 12v IceCap unit uses. I suspect this will be the same case here. As long as you get a the right adapter plugs then it should work just fine.

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled upon this. Will this work as well if we find the appropriate adapters for the plugs? Assuming it won't work for 24V DC Pumps, but would it work for the 12V input on MP40s?

TalentCell Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output for Wireless Router, Modem, LED Light, CCTV Camera, Smartphone and More

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had the 12v version and did its job 2x . Worth the money

Auntjemimma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the barrel connector is the same size and polarity any 24v pump will work with it. If the barrel connector is a different size just get an adapter at your local electronic parts store or online and you'll be good. I use mine on a current eFlux and a pair of Jaebo wave makers. These units are fairly straight forward. There's a 12-24v input that connects to a circuit board that has a pair out outputs on it, and connects to the battery(s). The output channels have diodes on them so power will only flow out. You also get a pair of y-cable connectors that have two male and one female end on them. You connect one end to the battery and the other to the pump. The factory power supply for the pump then connect to the female end of the adapter cable. Your power supply will supply main power to the pump during normal operation. If/when the power fails voltage from the battery instantly takes over and the pump continues to run until either power is restored or the battery runs down.
My jebao gyre pump just blinks with 6 blue lights when I switch over to the battery backup.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jebao gyre pump just blinks with 6 blue lights when I switch over to the battery backup.
Sounds like the voltage is incorrect causing it to error out. Check the AC/DC converter for the Gyre with a volt meter and see if it's outputing 12v or 24v and do the same for the battery output.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back