Ice cap pumps are junk !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bought a k250 skimmer and pump works when it wants to.
Cleaned it again and it runs out of water. As soon as skimmer and pump enters water, it stops running. Unit is 2 months old!!
I had similar issue with K1 skimmer and got rid of it and now reliving this nightmare

SMH

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned it again and it runs out of water. As soon as skimmer and pump enters water, it stops running. Unit is 2 months old!!
I had similar issue with K1 skimmer and got rid of it and now reliving this nightmare

SMH
Was the K2 one with the Sicce pump?

Sicce pumps have a great track record but I am sure that the cheap DC pump on the small unit isn't that great.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was the K2 one with the Sicce pump?

Sicce pumps have a great track record but I am sure that the cheap DC pump on the small unit isn't that great.
Not sicce

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doesn't surprise me at all. The pump is the heart of a skimmer and when they went away from the Sicces it just seemed stupid to me. Generally the pump is the most expensive part of the skimmer and the best indicator of skimmer quality.
Agreed. I did reach out to them and after having to prove where/when I purchased.... they are sending a replacement. How long will this one last ??

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SMH
You said you bought k250 skimmer and pump, you mentioned nothing about warranty, I've bought their products and within the warranty and they honor the warranty and quick. Am I missing something

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You said you bought k250 skimmer and pump, you mentioned nothing about warranty, I've bought their products and within the warranty and they honor the warranty and quick. Am I missing something
If you look at my post right above, they actually are sending a replacement and you correct regarding warranty. I just couldnt believe this happened within 3 weeks ??

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a K2-160, it has the sicce. I think it runs well. I haven't cleaned the pump since October, so its well overdue. The pump is a PSK-600, and replacements aren't cheap. I don't know what the K1 uses, but I know its a much less expensive skimmer. I imagine the cost difference is from moving production from the US to China and using a lower-priced pump. I have never given my K2 a second thought and I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hear the sicce is much better of a pump
I have the chinese one. A replacement was sent and nothing !!! Now they have sent a pump and power adapter. Ive been down with skimming going on 3 weeks and frustrating !!

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you might be able to fit the appropriate psk and turn this into a more reliable skimmer. The rest of the design looks the same. But i understand if you are past that point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back