Icecap 2K Gyres vs AI Nero 3 for 4ft tank

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone with a 4ft tank and experience with either pump...

I currently have a 75G tank and am running 2 Innovative Marine Wavelinks (2300gph) but am unhappy with the lack of sync and unreliability, I often find one of the pumps spinning backwards and have to take it out of the water at least once a week.

Looking to upgrade to a Nuvo EXT 100 later down the year (48x24x20 tall), so might as well upgrade powerheads now.

Would you recommend a pair of AI Nero 3s or a pair of Icecap 2K gyres? Both are around 300ish as a pair. Tank would be LPS/Euphylia dominant, looking for reliability, warranty support, ease of maintenance and flow throughout tank (both rated for 2000gph each).

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AI Nero 5's for my 120g, 4x2x2. Love them!. The Nero 3's seemed a little small. Had gyres on my last tank, but I like the AI app for control and sync of these. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
josh515025

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AI Nero 5's for my 120g, 4x2x2. Love them!. The Nero 3's seemed a little small. Had gyres on my last tank, but I like the AI app for control and sync of these. Hope that helps!
Thanks! How high is the flow turned up on your Nero 5s? And are you SPS dominant? Sand or bare bottom?

OP
OP
josh515025

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on random flow from 45% to 88%. Mixed reef, half SPS half LPS. Aragonite for substrate.
Cool, how’s the warranty support on the Neros?

Hows the coverage compared to the gyres in your opinion? The Icecaps are also programmable through the app. I heard the Neros have a wider flow pattern than Vortechs but not so much as Gyres. But easier to maintain and more durable

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hows the coverage compared to the gyres in your opinion? The Icecaps are also programmable through the app. I heard the Neros have a wider flow pattern than Vortechs but not so much as Gyres. But easier to maintain and more durable
Not sure on the warranty, have to check with them on that. Spread is great from a circular pump. Less sand movement with these than the Gyres, one of the reasons I made the switch. Super easy to clean as well!

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the mixed reef I needed to keep the higher flow towards the top of the tank, so these allow me to do that more than the gyres would

OP
OP
josh515025

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the mixed reef I needed to keep the higher flow towards the top of the tank, so these allow me to do that more than the gyres would
Yea I had a Jebao Gyre on a smaller tank and noticed they might be better for SPS tanks or bare bottom. I can’t have a tank without sand though lol and would only have SPS near the top if anything. Also my tank would be 4-5 inches shorter. Thanks for the info definitely leaning towards the Neros, really like the form factor and would go along well with my plan to upgrade to hydra 32Hds

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back