Icecap 2k Position and Flow

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" x 23.75" x 21.25" LxWxH tank with a overflow in the middle of the back wall. I tried setting up my Icecap 2k vertically on the back right flowing around the front of the tank. Tank inhabitants didn't seem to like that much. I have since moved it to the right side aimed up around 40 degrees breaking the surface hitting the opposite wall. I am having a hard time telling if I have to much flow. Right now im light on corals. I have 1 unhappy hammer and a rock full of ricordia mushrooms(they dont seem to give a **** about anything) 2 clowns and a goby.

I am running the pump in LPS mode with reverse ok from 1%to 100% and sine wave at night up to 40%. I have a small hydor power head on the left side trying to keep the dead spot in the corner from being to stagnant. The cyano has cleared up since moving the icecap to where it is shown in the picture, but I know seem to have a dead spots on the small areas at the bottom next to overflow box.

Picture is about 2 weeks old. I had a terrible algae bloom not realizing my TDS meter was reading 0 for everything when it was really 10. Has since been replaced the algae is almost all gone thanks to my turbos and blue legs.

1642005762222.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my gyre(s) set at the water surface - and they flow across the tank. one on the left side one on the right. having one or both on the top maximizes gas exchange - does not cause a lot of 'direct flow' on the coral itself - and causes fantastic flow throughout the tank.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should get another or is the 1 good in a tank this size. I had thought about adding another one and reducing the output on each so that its not like a hurricane in the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think I should get another or is the 1 good in a tank this size. I had thought about adding another one and reducing the output on each so that its not like a hurricane in the tank.
Your preference. I alternate the flow so that one flows left to right - across - the other is 'quiet' - then they reverse.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" x 23.75" x 21.25" LxWxH tank with a overflow in the middle of the back wall. I tried setting up my Icecap 2k vertically on the back right flowing around the front of the tank. Tank inhabitants didn't seem to like that much. I have since moved it to the right side aimed up around 40 degrees breaking the surface hitting the opposite wall. I am having a hard time telling if I have to much flow. Right now im light on corals. I have 1 unhappy hammer and a rock full of ricordia mushrooms(they dont seem to give a **** about anything) 2 clowns and a goby.

I am running the pump in LPS mode with reverse ok from 1%to 100% and sine wave at night up to 40%. I have a small hydor power head on the left side trying to keep the dead spot in the corner from being to stagnant. The cyano has cleared up since moving the icecap to where it is shown in the picture, but I know seem to have a dead spots on the small areas at the bottom next to overflow box.

Picture is about 2 weeks old. I had a terrible algae bloom not realizing my TDS meter was reading 0 for everything when it was really 10. Has since been replaced the algae is almost all gone thanks to my turbos and blue legs.

1642005762222.png
First off, love the Tardis.

I ran one on my JBJ 45 and did like @MnFish1 stated and had it t the top of the waterline, but low enough to not suck air. This allowed for the "fast" flow to be up to and the more random indirect flow to be everywhere else. Being as you have another PH, even small, you could aim it up towards the surface as well to break up the flow some, if needed. You may also want to play around with the speed of the pump and start the tank out lower with raining the speed up a little at a time over the course of a few weeks. This way the corals have time to adjust.

I will say, 2 of them with one on each side works really well and gives a nice sway to the corals. My 180s and my 7' tanks have a 4k on each side and alternating. Works well for those tanks, so plan to do the same on the next smaller tank I setup soon in our guest room.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to keep an eye out for another 2k then. I really like the way the just having the one has helped the sand bed on the opposite side of the tank.

The Tardis has been claimed by my brittle star he comes out at night and is always back in at morning. I can toss some food in front and see a tentacle if he is hungry. Found it online about 2 years ago on a aquarium site.

Back