Icecap gyre 4K microbubbles

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first, I thought my skimmer was creating micro bubbles in the display… turns out it is my gyres.
I turned off the skimmer for two hours and the amount of microbubbles in the display was insane, being blown out of my gyres.
I have them mounted one of each side horizontally, waterbox 220.6.

my troubleshooting steps:

1. made sure blades are in the correct position (A with A and B with B)

2. no air is being absorbed into the pumps from the top.

3. I replaced the blades with the spare blades they come with

I’m at a loss and really frustrated. My tank is now 8 months old, and I’ve always noticed microbubbles but I guess now they have finally gotten annoying.
What should I do to correct this?

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the same with mine. I've watched closely and I think in my case it's bubbles coming up from the rock and getting blown across. I have algae as the tank is only going on 5 months and it also appears to create bubbles. IDK if this is the case with you but thought I'd mention it.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
The gyres are deep in the water already, I think any deeper they would just look weird and eliminate the flow at the top of the tank.

I don’t have any bubbles on the rocks thankfully. The tank is now 8 months old.
Switching the blades out did help, just not enough to eliminate bubbles 100%. I’d say about 85% eliminated now

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer off two days, still have microbubbles lol.
Any more suggestions on this? Driving me mad

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine seem to do the same when dirty.

Maybe a good cleaning is in order?
I cleaned them today, popped out all the pieces, cleaned the guard, etc. it’s better, but still only a reduction of about 50%. Still have micro bubbles everywhere. You can see it producing a bubble inside the blades and then it spits it out.

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem and it's starting to drive me nuts. I'm wondering if orientation or the brand of gyre have anything to do with it. My gyre is an icecap 4k mounted vertically. Curious if anyone has modded there gyres

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3k, one mounted vert other horizontal, no issue. Maybe because they are new, and similar to a skimmrer, they need to break in?

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem and it's starting to drive me nuts. I'm wondering if orientation or the brand of gyre have anything to do with it. My gyre is an icecap 4k mounted vertically. Curious if anyone has modded there gyres
You have to let them run in reverse mode as well as forward. I figured out that if you do this on any mode, the gyre doesn’t get filled up with microbubbles and ends up creating a storm.

this resolved it. Cleaning it didn’t help, just letting it go backwards and forwards in its schedule automatically clears whatever air finds its way there.

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to let them run in reverse mode as well as forward. I figured out that if you do this on any mode, the gyre doesn’t get filled up with microbubbles and ends up creating a storm.

this resolved it. Cleaning it didn’t help, just letting it go backwards and forwards in its schedule automatically clears whatever air finds its way there.
Thank you very much for the great advice. I put the pump in reverse which immediately purged out a ton of bubbles.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the great advice. I put the pump in reverse which immediately purged out a ton of bubbles.
Isn’t it crazy! Took me NINE months to figure it out. Hopefully people having trouble see my post.

It’s a bummer though and I think a slight design failure. Why do I have to commit to running it both back and forth, I should be able to do whatever I want.

poloqr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t it crazy! Took me NINE months to figure it out. Hopefully people having trouble see my post.

It’s a bummer though and I think a slight design failure. Why do I have to commit to running it both back and forth, I should be able to do whatever I want.
I have them in reverse as well since day one! The gyre 4K only spits micro bubbles now and then. But the 2k in the other side makes micro bubbles every day. My 95gl tank is 2 months old!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny Bubbles,
In my wine,
Makes me happy,
It makes me feel fine!!

Tiny bubbles,
In my tank,
Really expensive,
And brakes the bank!!

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been trying to solve this for over 2 weeks...you just saved my sanity (hopefully). I have tried EVERYTHING I thought I could. Guess not.

Going to try this when I get home.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back