IceCap Gyre or Maxspect Gyre (And What Size)

Which is the appropriate choice?

• Maxspect XF350

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Maxspect XF330

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • IceCap 4K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IceCap 2K

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm fed up with problems with my MP40wQD so I'll be making the switch to gyres within the next week or so. I'm trying to decide what brand and what size to go with. I'm in a JBJ 65 (roughly the same size as a 40 breeder but taller). I'd really like to get the XF350s but from what I've read that's a bad idea. I just fear a tank upgrade in the next year or so, and the next one will likely be a 180 or larger. I'll be getting a pair for some good random flow. Please give some recommendations all. I'll put a poll up above. Would love to hear opinions, suggestions, and questions.

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump would really like opinions. I know people running pairs of XF330s on my tank size that wish they had even more flow. IceCaps seem more promising as they are actually just a re-branded Maxspect (see their website, it's a "Jump" series pump or something like that).

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only share my opinion of the IceCap 3k that I have. My tank is a standard 75 gal (48”x18”x 20”deep) I have the 3k placed horizontally on the right side of the tank. I do have a dead spot on the opposite side at the back, which could be because of rock work and/or overflow box. I love that I can program different flow types & speeds throughout the day/night. I also have a fine sand bed & if it’s pointing down too much, I get quite a snow storm :confused:
BTW at the moment the strongest setting, I’m only running it at 40%. So there’s plenty of power there if that’s what you’re looking for.
Hope this helps. :)

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 350. 73 dt and 19 sump. The icecap 3000 is what I have and it is set to gyro mode. 30 seconds one way and 30 seconds the other. Unbelievable power. Really no known dead spots. Also got the icecap battery backup.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with maspect. They have a great warranty. I had a problem with one of my units. They asked for a picture of the serial number and proof of purchase. A few days later I had a new one in the mail. I would go with the larger unit, you can always dial back the flow. Also you will need the larger one when you upgrade your tank.

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, these definitely help. Just in a kind of weird spot because small ones are a little small, big ones are a little big.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back