Icecap vs maxxspect 300

golfer88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve been a user of ecotech powerheads for a while but being in college and trying to keep my new build under 4-5k max. Has me wondering really how much different and how much better can the maxspects? Sure maybe a little louder but I can get a icecap 3k for $150 bucks compared to the new 300 series. It’s the same parent company too so you know it’s the same parts and patent. So what’s everyone’s experience between the 2.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS guy gave me the advice that IceCaps are just watered down Maxspects and if you are going to have Gyres your money is best spent going with the maxspects..so I did. He has never steered me wrong that I am aware of.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no first hand experience with the Maxspec, but I do have the Icecap.

I can tell you that the Icecap is a well built unit and I have not regretted going that route.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maxspec 300 series supposedly has a new controller and features making it silent. Every other gyre iteration has a bad rap of being loud. Im interested to see how well this "sine wave technology " quiets them down. Worked on the MP40es -> MP40QD so very possible.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maxspec 300 series supposedly has a new controller and features making it silent. Every other gyre iteration has a bad rap of being loud. Im interested to see how well this "sine wave technology " quiets them down. Worked on the MP40es -> MP40QD so very possible.
I have a XF150 and Xf250 on a 6' 180g tank and I don't have noise from my mine.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 300 series maxpect are definitely not the same as any of the icecaps or previous generation maxpects. My LFS runs icecaps on their display and they are louder than what I would be ok with on my tank that is in my living room.

I assume at some point the icecaps will come out with a copy of the 300 series maxpects though.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How loud is it?
I have read some people comment on their volume. I have mine in my bedroom and it is practically silent. Every now and then you will hear it for a couple of minutes, but it is still soft even then. My return pump is much louder than the gyre.

This is in reference to the icecap unit. (edited for clarity)

Last edited:
OP
OP
golfer88

golfer88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 300 series maxpect are definitely not the same as any of the icecaps or previous generation maxpects. My LFS runs icecaps on their display and they are louder than what I would be ok with on my tank that is in my living room.

I assume at some point the icecaps will come out with a copy of the 300 series maxpects though.
care to explain how they are different other then the flow defectors and the app to control them? It seems that icecap is maxspects entry level brand?

OP
OP
golfer88

golfer88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read some people comment on their volume. I have mine in my bedroom and it is practically silent. Every now and then you will hear it for a couple of minutes, but it is still soft even then. My return pump is much louder than the gyre.
just wondering what return do you have?

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the icecap 3 K's and I'd say they're built pretty good the first one I got I've had running for almost 2 years and haven't cleaned it once Works flawlessly.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
care to explain how they are different other then the flow defectors and the app to control them? It seems that icecap is maxspects entry level brand?
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the control surface is a roughly 3"x5" controller with a scroll wheel and a few buttons. There are 5 flow modes that you can use, and up to 6 adjustable parameters per mode. Some modes have the parameters locked, so you can't change them. You can build presets that have start and stop times so the gyre does different things throughout the day.

The power button can be tapped to do a 10 minute pause for feeding, which is quite nice.

OP
OP
golfer88

golfer88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the control surface is a roughly 3"x5" controller with a scroll wheel and a few buttons. There are 5 flow modes that you can use, and up to 6 adjustable parameters per mode. Some modes have the parameters locked, so you can't change them. You can build presets that have start and stop times so the gyre does different things throughout the day.

The power button can be tapped to do a 10 minute pause for feeding, which is quite nice.
and you can't do this with the icecap?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back